ten

"If I die, let me die. Let him be, let him live. Bring him home." - Bring Him Home, Les Miserables

Time seemed to freeze. She felt sluggish, unable to move. Her legs were lead and her heart was a stone, sinking.

Everyone seemed to be moving at the speed of light, every movement leaving a trail of images behind.

Her heart pounded slowly in an erratic beat.

Newt.

Newt.

She felt lightheaded, her conscience floating away. Everything seemed to blur around her, but she could see him in high clarity.

Newt.

She stared at the scratches covering his chest, the wound on his forehead, the cloth wrapped around his leg, turning crimson with blood.

The only person who ever remotely cared for her. Dead?

Someone barrelled into her, causing her to lose her balance and stumble. She regained her footing quickly, and found herself rushing towards the Runners. She was on autopilot, her body acting, but she had no control over it.

She couldn't think. She couldn't see.
Her voice seemed oddly disembodied when she asked Minho, close to tears, "what happened?"

"Got stung by a shuck Griever. I don't think he'll live."

The lead in in veins turned to ice, slushing around her body. She sank to her knees, looking at the still boy beneath her.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no," she repeated desperately.

She felt herself being gently pushed aside and saw Clint and Jeff put him on a makeshift stretcher.

"No, no, no," she whispered.

"Lizzy, let me take care of you," a husky voice said quietly. A pair of hands were on shoulders. Ross.

"Stop, get away!" she screamed, "I don't want your shuck help. Get the hell away from me!"

The tears couldn't be stopped. She got up, stumbled, and ran. She ran like her life depended on it, ran into the Homestead, into her room, and bolted the door shut. With the last of her remaining strength, she shoved the nightstand at the door, blocking it.

She collapsed onto her bed and sobbed like she never did before. Tremors shook her body, and she felt like a wave of grief was crashing over her body, taking it out to the sea.

She didn't know when she fell asleep, but when she woke up, she knew it was late afternoon. A cool patch of wetness was at her cheek. Her entire body felt sore but numb at the same time.

There was a small knock on the door. "Greenie?"

When she didn't respond, a sharper, louder knock was heard. The doorknob rattled.

"Elizabeth! I'll have you Banished if you don't get your shuck ass here right now!"

"Go away, shank!"

"Open the shucking door!"

"What do you want?!" she demanded, before burying her head in her pillow and screaming.

"It's Newt! I think he's gonna live!"

She drew in a quick, sharp breath as her head snapped up from the pillow.

It couldn't be. She saw all the blood.

He couldn't possibly have survived.

"Wait for me!" she called as she madly dashed around the room, putting on her shoes and jacket, then throwing her entire weight on the drawer, pushing it across the room.