eight

"I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all." - Marie Antoinette

~

"Up, up, up, Greenie! Get your shuck ass up and ready to run like a klunk Griever is chasing you. Up, up!"

Several loud, enthusiastic knocks followed the irritating wake up call.

Elizabeth groggily lifted her head from her pillow, rubbing her eyes. Her head was pounding, the sunlight was too bright and that shuck Glader's voice was too loud.

She could vaguely remember her nightmare from before, something about the world ending. She'd gotten used to the nightmares, they were common now, like a mere side-effect of sleep.

"Slim it, shank!" Elizabeth yelled at the door, "people are trying to sleep here!"

"Nope, no time for sleeping! Runner training starts now, at 5 in the morning. Get up, get running!"

She dragged herself up, not bothering to fix her appearance, and flung open the door. It revealed two boys, one dark-haired, one blonde. They both wore identical, irritating smiles.

Minho and Newt.

"Shuck off," Elizabeth told them, but she got no reaction. Instead, they were staring at her.

Minho's eyes were wide as saucers, his gaze traveling up her legs and to her chest, as if transfixed. Newt, on the other hand, was stealing small, hesitant looks, averting his eyes every couple seconds, his stare not going above neck level.

"What?" she demanded, glaring at the two boys.

Minho made a small sputtering sound, staring shamelessly while Newt chewed his bottom lip nervously.

That's when Elizabeth realized she was wearing only a loose shirt. Her legs were completely bare, the shirt only reaching the top of her thighs, and the neckline had slipped off, revealing a shoulder.

"Oh, shuck," she whispered, as her hands tugged at the hem of the garment. Then, as if coming back to her senses, she adopted an angry face and snapped, "you two are unbelievable. These are legs. Tibia and femur. Their purpose is walking, running, and kicking shanks in the nuts."

She crossed her arms, leaning against the doorframe haughtily.

"Uh," Minho kept staring, transfixed, at her legs, "Runner training postponed for fifteen minutes." He ran off. Newt cast a fleeting glance at her face, not meeting her eyes, and quickly followed suit.

"Shuck," she swore, covering her face in embarrassment, the previous arrogance had vanished completely, "shuck!"

Slamming the door behind her, she leaned against the doorframe, feeling her neck and cheeks heat up. Sinking onto the floor, she hugged her legs to her chest, breathing heavily.

"Idiot!" she muttered, running her hand through her hair. She should've known better; she lived with forty boys who haven't seen a female in two years.

She sat there, stewing in shame and discomfort until a small, tentative knock sounded from behind her.

"Greenie? You ready?" The accent was unmistakable.

"Newt," Elizabeth ignored the question, "no one knows about this, right?"

There was a pause. "No," he finally said.

"You don't sound so sure," she noted.

"I'm not."

"Okay."

She stood up with a small sigh, and gathered her clothes. She slipped on some comfortable clothing, then opened the door.

Newt have her a sheepish smile, still not meeting her eyes. Pink tinted his cheeks and he seemed more fidgety than usual.