1. Arrival at & Description of Anandashram - Dec 1993

Arrival at Anandashram

December 11, 1993

 Anandashram, Kerala

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars. I hope you are all well.

From Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh, I went on a bus to Dharmavaram (1-hour ride) and immediately caught a train to Kerala. The 20-hour trip went fast and smoothly and I am now in Anandashram, a wandering person without a home! Still, I think they will let me stay at least until Maha Sivarathri in February.

This place is quiet and everyone is kind and constantly repeating God's name. I have to admit it’s like a breath of fresh air, and a great relief after the bustling military camp of Prasanthi Nilayam!

Vidya said she'd forward my mail - however you can write me here direct, as I’ll be staying at least two months (I am sending a telegram to you with this letter). I am healthy & peaceful.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya

_______________

Description of Anandashram

December 23 1993

Anandashram

Dear Parents,

Here the ashram is big – about ½ the size or more of Prasanthi Nilayam, but not many people. Even when big crowds come, the number does not exceed 150 people. About 8 foreigners are here now, including me. Not more than this come, and the number is usually less.

All residents here, about 50 people, are completely serious in their spiritual pursuits. They are kind and loving to all; they don’t talk much but when they do, it is with sweet, soft words. They are all constantly engaged in the chanting of “Om Sri Ram, Jai Ram, Jai Jai Ram,” either under their breath, moving their lips, or running a japamala through their fingers.

There are trees and flowers everywhere. The whole ashram is kept completely clean. Even the workers come and bow in the Mandir daily; they are always kind and happy. They take daily baths and wash their clothes daily - unlike the maids in Prasanthi Nilayam who wear the same sari, petticoat and choli 24 hours a day for 4 or 5 days in a row!

Mother Krishnabai made all arrangements for comfortable stay here. Everyone's clothes are washed free every day, by the workers. Also the room is swept and mopped daily. Tea & coffee are brought to the room three times a day, free! The canteen food is prepared to the chant of mantras, and is much more tasty than Prasanthi Nilayam food! (I love coconuts and coconut oil, which is used in abundance here!)

All in all, it is like heaven itself. No cares, no duties – only to chant the Lord’s name constantly. The activities in the Mandir go on non-stop from 5 AM till 9:30 PM. Anyone can go in the Mandir at anytime, and leave at any time. The programs are constant, either prayers, mantras, bhajan or chanting of ‘Om Sri Ram’ to the accompaniment of cymbals & harmonium - anyone can sing along or quietly meditate.

Also there are two “Homa Mandirs” where the cremations of Ramdas and Mother Krishnabai took place. From 6 AM till 6 PM daily, there is constant chanting going on here. The ladies and gents take turns, 30 minutes each, in going round & round the marble tombs, chanting. People came and join or leave, whenever they wish.

Unlike in Prasanthi Nilayam, here there is no pushing, no rules, no lines, no set times people have to remain sitting and no bad feelings or competition. Everything is harmony and peace. In the Mandir, the ladies leisurely lean against the wall, and the gents lean against the wall on the other side. Everyone dresses in simple, light-colored cotton (most ladies wear white saris with small colored borders, like Mother Krishnabai did). In Prasanthi Nilayam most well-to-do devotees compete to see who can wear the most expensive and dazzling silk! But here, even very rich people are humble and utterly serious to reach the Goal. It is ideal for me! What I always wanted.

Mother Krishnabai left her body in 1989 (Swami Ramdas, who founded the ashram, died in 1963). She was about 88 years old. Now, Swami Satchidananda is overlooking the ashram activities. He was with Ramdas and Krishnabai for several decades. He looked after them & was their secretary.

Swami Satchidananda is a totally humble and peaceful soul. He does not want anyone thinking of him as ‘guru’. All around him is an aura of total peace and unattachment. He is so obviously not seeing the world as we do! He seems to be in a completely different, and Divine world altogether. Although he is over 74 years old, he looks like he is in his early 40’s. His face is devoid of wrinkles and it is shining. When he looks at us, one gets the overwhelming feeling that he is seeing only the Divine. Around this pillar of spirituality, the ashram revolves and thrives. Unlike with Sathya Sai Baba, Swami Satchidananda’s peace & detachment spread to all and makes the whole ashram holy. With Sai His calmness seem to make everyone around Him the opposite!!

Here is my new, improved daily schedule for you!

2:30-4:30 AM : Sadhana (Yogananda's Energizing Exercises, Kriya Yoga, Meditation)

4:30-5am : Bath

5-6:45 : Morning program in Mandir

6:45-7:15 : Breakfast, cleaning room

7:15-8 : Offering flowers in Mandir

8-8:30 : Washing clothes

8:30-10:30 : Free – quiet time, reading ,writing, etc.

10:30-11:30 : Bhajan in Mandir

11:30-12 noon : Lunch

12 noon-1 PM: Arati in Mandir

1-3 : Nap

3-3:30 : Bath

3:30-4:30 : Reading of Ramdas book in Swami’s room

4:30-5 : Free

5-5:30 PM : Bhgavad Geeta reading in Mandir

5:30-6 : Arati in Homa Mandir

6-6:45 : Arrange clothes, etc., for next day

6:45-8:15 : Sadhana

8:15-9 : Bhajan & chanting in Mandir

9-9:30 : Final arathi in Mandir

9:30 PM-2:30 AM Sleep

As you can see it’s a full schedule! I try not to waste time, but do sadhana always.

In the morning, Swami Satchidananda gives flowers to each person (first gents then ladies) and we go into the Mandir samadhi and place them on the marble tombs of Ramdas and Krishnabai. Later, these flowers are distributed to the ladies to wear in their hair. The people who give the flowers delight in arranging them in our hair, big amounts too!

Both the main Mandir and the Homa Mandir vibrate with powerful, uplifting vibrations. In fact, the whole ashram seems pervaded with sweetness, love, harmony and devotion.

Here I am continuing mostly in silence; people are kind – but so much engaged in sadhana that they never indulge in talking much.

The days go on peacefully, I am in a big, rectangular room (bigger than Round House room). When I came there was also a quiet, meditating German girl, but she left after a week, so I am alone now. The room has two beds (although I still only sleep on the floor!), table and chairs. The bathroom is in an adjacent hallway, shared by two other rooms. Hot water for bath is also available (though I use only cold water! Habit!).

All for now – I pray that you are well. Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya