5

(Six Months Later)

“Graham?”

Graham sat down next to Joe on the sofa.

“Mm?” He handed Joe a cup of coffee.

Joe rolled the mug between his hands for a moment.

“I’ve been thinking…” He paused.

“Are you breaking up with me?” Graham asked.

Joe heard the nervous tone in his voice and laughed.

“No, silly.” He kissed Graham gently. “I love having you with us, Gray. I love you.”

Graham stared at him for a moment, before his easy grin slid onto his face.

“I love you, too.” He kissed Joe again, feeling ecstasy wash over him.

Joe kissed him for a moment, before he drew back.

“Listen… I want to sell the house. I’ve been thinking, and… there isn’t enough room here. I want to start our family somewhere brand new. Someplace the girls can have their own rooms, and you can have your own office.”

“Okay.”

Joe smiled.

“Well, I’ve been looking, and I’ve found a really nice place. It’s closer to mum and dad’s, and it’ll cut ten minutes off your drive to work. It has five bedrooms, a huge garden, and a pool. It’s the perfect place. The only thing is…” Joe paused, looking suddenly awkward. “It’s a bit out of my price range.”

Graham grinned.

“I thought it might be. What do you suggest?”

“Well, how would you feel about… buying it together?” Joe asked tentatively. He carried on quickly. “If you don’t want to there are other places that I can afford.”

Graham smiled.

“What do you say to joint ownership, with a joint mortgage, paid from a joint bank account?”

Joe nodded eagerly.

“Here.” He pulled a file from the drawer in the coffee table. “This is it. It needs some work doing, but…” he shrugged. “I figured you’d be alright at that, since you’re an interior designer.”

Graham laughed.

“This looks great,” he said, scanning the photos of the house.

“You wanna go see it?” Joe asked.

Graham nodded.

“When?”

“Mum and dad are coming to babysit in ten minutes.”

“Busy boy!” Graham laughed and wrapped his arms around Joe.

Joe looked over at Graham, whose eyes were closed. He was visibly relaxed.

Joe could see he was on the verge of falling asleep. He smiled. Joe got up quietly, and fetched his drawing pad and pencils from the study. He settled himself on the window seat, resting the pad on his knee, and began to sketch Graham.

“What’re you doing?” Graham mumbled.

“Stay still,” said Joe softly.

Graham sighed and snuggled deeper into the pillow.

Joe drew for half an hour or so, capturing what he saw before him easily with his talented pencil. He eventually slipped back into bed with Graham, and drew the duvet up to their torso height. He rolled over, pinning Graham’s body to the mattress under his own weight.