Fighters

Beyoncé's POV

I lay there that beautiful June afternoon in a hospital bed, hooked up to so many different machines. Two IVs were going in both arms. Jay, my Mother Tina, and my sister Solange were all by my side for support. I was in the holding area where the surgical team was preparing me for my emergency Cesarean birth (C-section).

No one ever tells you that black women have higher rates of high-risk pregnancies in the United States. This is the unfortunate truth! We go through a lot, and more and more black women are sharing their stories of survival.

My pregnancy with Blue was wonderful. However, this pregnancy hit me hard... physically, mentally and emotionally.

While waiting to be taken into the surgical suite, I worried deeply about my babies. I didn't care about me in that moment. I wanted to make sure they survived and were healthy. I struggled to understand why I had to be the woman to go through all of this, you know? If I'm being honest, no woman should.

Like many women, I did everything I was supposed to do until this happened.

I  was seven months pregnant when I was rushed to the hospital because I passed out while getting dressed that morning. Throughout my pregnancy with the twins, I had severe toxemia (swelling) and preeclampsia (high blood pressure). My entire pregnancy was high risk due to my age, ethnicity, and multi-parity (carrying two babies). The doctors said that my case of preeclampsia and toxemia was getting worse, so I needed to be on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. They would closely monitor me.

I was confined to my bed for almost a month until one nurse visit startled us all. The fetal heart rate of both babies was extremely low, which is a cardinal sign that they were losing oxygen.

This leaves us to June 13th, the day of surgery.

I felt so helpless because I couldn't do anything to change what was going on. I was so scared. All I could do was pray and trust that God would spare my babies.

It was now time for surgery, and the nurses began to wheel me into the operating room. They allowed Jay to come as my support person. He was dressed in sterile clothing, as was the surgical team.

---

"Everything will be alright, Bey!" Jay held my hand. I couldn't see anything because they had the sheet raised at my chest to keep the sterile field intact. I looked up at my husband with tears in my eyes. I squeezed his hand tightly, awaiting what was to come. They had already given me anesthesia and cut an excision across my abdomen. Jay watched the entire thing, making several different faces. When he realized I was watching him, he smiled and kissed me on the forehead.

"Here they come!" The nurse yelled.

"There's the girl...." Jay said as we watched the nurses quickly bring Rumi to the radiant warmer after drying her off. They started working on her, doing vital signs, etc.

"The baby boy!" The doctor passed him to the other set of nurses. They did the same for Sir. Neither of them cried, which immediately concerned me.

"Are they okay?" I looked over to the nurses as I cried. The nurse came over to my side, and that was all I remembered.

I woke up hours later in a new room where my family surrounded me.

"She's awake!" My mother jumped out of her seat to rush to my side.

"Hey, mama! Where's my babies? Are they okay?" I began to panic and try to sit up. Jay rushes to my other side to calm me down.

"Shhh! Relax, Bey. They will be fine. They are in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) because their heart rates are low. They had a lot of fluid in their lungs that needed to be cleared. They are on oxygen." He caressed my cheek.

I burst into tears. I was happy that my babies were okay, but the fact that they were struggling to breathe caused me to lose it.

"I know it's hard, BeyBey, but you must focus on getting well. Jay said you passed out due to the amount of blood you lost. They had to give you a blood transfusion. We almost lost you! Solange and I were praying so very hard. She left to pick Blue up from school." My mom revealed.

"You've always been a warrior. Now we need you to be strong for those babies... for Blue and Jay." My mom smiled as a tear fell from her eyes. I nodded in agreement, calming myself down immediately.

Rumi and Sir stayed in the NICU for several weeks until they were finally cleared to come home. As for me, my whole insides were different, and I felt like my body was not mine. I struggled with Postpartum Depression because of the changes and the fact that I couldn't care for my babies for a while.

Jay was there through it all. I am curious how I could have made it through without my husband. I am proud to have witnessed his strength and evolution as a man, a best friend, and a father.

Now, the twins are healthy and at home while I heal. They are the absolute loves of my life and have inspired me in so many ways. They are mommy's little fighters. They made this difficult journey all worth it.

The end.

June 13th - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUMI AND SIR🎂