Chapter forty-nine: Fireworks and feuding friends

James

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

"Heads, I stay home. Tails, I go," I said to myself quietly.

Please land on heads, I prayed.

I was trying to decide whether or not to show up at the Fourth of July bonfire.

It was only a few hours away, and part of me just wanted to stay home and spend the holiday night with Mom and Lizzie.

Dad would be coming home the following day, and we'd be leaving for our two-week vacation to Florida the next night. I'd be having my second birthday celebration there as well.

Mom, Lizzie, and I had spent my actual birthday at one of my favorite restaurants, and they had taken me to see a new movie at the theater. We'd spent the day of the Fourth of July with some of Mom's friends across town. So it wasn't like I was in desperate need to get out of the house.

But another part of me knew Harlee would be there.

And that was the reason I wanted to show up.

School would be starting in late July, and I'd be away for half of July.

Maybe, we would never be best friends again; maybe, we'd only be strangers with memories, but if nothing else, I needed to tell Harlee the truth.

Fate seemed to agree with that because as I lifted my palm off of the penny I'd tossed, I saw it had landed on tails.

Best two out of three, I decided and tried again.

It landed on heads that time.

I flipped the coin once more, and my decision was made.

The tails side was facing me.

I hurried out of my room to go ask Lizzie for a ride.

I was going to the bonfire.

We ended up going as a family to the celebration.

Lizzie had wanted to meet Karissa there, and Mom had volunteered to help out with the picnics, so the bonfire turned into a family affair.

Our SUV pulled up to the Winnington park at the beginning of sunset.

The sky was dyed with bright pink and tangerine colors as the sun started hiding behind the horizon. Daylight lingered, but it wouldn't be long before it dimmed out as well. Once it did, fireworks would commence.

Throughout the park, picnic blankets were laid out seating families that were playing, eating, and lounging. It was all a familiar sight, seeing as I attended it on a yearly basis.

One thing was different, though.

Normally, my best friend would be attending it with me.

Not with my nemesis.

Mom parked in the parking lot and shut off the car. She and Lizzie were talkative and excited as we got out, but I was still feeling hesitant.

"I'll be over in just a sec," I told them.

Worried looks appeared on both of their faces.

"Is everything alright?" Mom asked.

I still had yet to tell her about the drama with Harlee. And Dad too, since he'd been curious. As far as they knew, Harlee and I had made amends.

Well, who knows, I thought optimistically.

Maybe, by the time I tell them about all this, she and I will have reconciled.