Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Ben

"What the Doctor had to tell us shocked us more than anything in our lives. At times I still find it hard to believe. It's like it's a strange dream or some joke that someone's playing." Ben said as he paused and gazed out into nothingness or as his teacher once said Never Neverland, not for the first time and most definitely not for the last time on this trip.

"WHAT exactly are you trying to tell us Doc, how can that be?" Ben said after picking his jaw off the ground. 

"I said Mr. Logan that you're wife is going to have a baby. And I do believe you know how this happened so I'm not going to have to explain that small yet enormously important fact of life to you, I hope." said Doctor Tennant as he helped to transfer Karin to one of the chairs in his office, after she had passed out in Bens arms.  

With frustration Ben tried his best to grasp the concept of being a father, yet again and to collect his thoughts, he looked over at his wife, then brushed aside a few strands of stray hair. 

Turning back to the messenger who brought this shocking and life altering news to him and his wife he said, "That's not the thing I was talking about Doc. What 'bout the tests and measures to prevent this kind of thing the women had to go though before this mission. We're not supposed to have children on this shuttle. We'll have to cancel the mission, and return home. What are we supposed to do now? Don't get me wrong under any other circumstance this would be great news." 

The doctor gave a look sympathy towards the expecting parents for the doctor knew how they felt, for his wife was expecting another child that would be born as he was on this mission. The doctor said, "Yeah, I knew what you meant, I'm sorry about that little joke, just trying to lighten the mood. I suppose it was too soon to use that particular line wasn't it?" 

As they sat down the Doctor collected his notes and continued. "As you know when we were getting ready to leave earth they did the tests there to check for pregnancy and they injected the women with a new formula that was supposed to boost the immune system, and prevent this particular kind of thing from happening, at least until near the end of our mission." Doc Tennant looked from his notes then back to Ben and figured that some more explanation was needed, "I studied the formulas used, it should have worked. I even brought in some other members of the crew and ran some tests before I called you and your wife in. I needed to double check your wives results against others so I dug deeper. It seems that somebody deliberately gave your wife the wrong medications. It looks like the stuff that was given to her was designed to mask hide the symptoms from us for a few months. As for the reason they did such a thing as that I have no idea, I just know that your wife is expecting."  

It took a long time before Ben was able to say anything, the doctor felt it best to let his friend take as much time as he needed. He spoke up, "Would you like to have some time alone? I can leave and come back in a few minutes." Ben nodded, at that moment he felt as if he couldn't answer even if he wanted to. 

Ben walked towards the shelves in the doctor's office and picked up his wife's medical papers the doctor had left behind. Normally the doctor wouldn't do this but considering everything including their current situation and location in the universe he figured he could leave the papers for Ben to read. 

As he looked through the papers Ben asked, "Is that all the medication did to her? Who would do such a thing, and be able get through all that security to do it?"  

The doctor gave them a few minutes but finally decided it was time to return and do his job. As soon as he did return Ben had some questions for him.  

Without hesitation Doc said, "That's all I could tell that stuff they gave her does. I've gone over the data many times and many different ways. And she should be fine once she wakes up, besides possibly feeling sick for a few more days. And for the who and why, that's a harder question, if not impossible one to answer. The medications were supposed to be very well guarded, and inspected before delivery to the human system." Doc waited for a response, but when none came he asked one more question, "Would you like to find out the gender of the baby?"