Chapter 4: The Final Truth

Chapter 4:

My heart broke for him. The little frog cried awhile. I could tell from this distance that his heart was broken. He was lied to but I feared this was something even more. He leapt forwards and tried to follow her but he was too small to catch up.

"Little frog!" I shouted after him.

He did not even turn at the sound of my voice. This must mean much more than what he meant. Maybe this meant his freedom.

"Little frog!" I said, huffing out breaths as I caught up to him.

I scooped him up and looked at him. I didn't mind the sliminess of his green skin for that was how frogs were. He did not look at me with the glossy eyes.

"Why couldn't it have been you?" he whispered, the sadness croaking in his voice.

"What do you mean?"

"I cannot tell you, Indella." he paused and thought. "Why do you trust me so? I am but a mere frog who could have lead you to your death. I did not tell you anything about me nor why I am in this form of nature."

I sighed and thought about it. Why had I? Maybe it was because I pitied him. Or maybe it was because I wanted to get away for awhile. Or was it because I felt it was the right thing to do? Or, had I wanted to run away?

"I cannot tell you that. I do not know myself. Perhaps it was because, it was the right thing to do. It was what I believed I should do."

He looked up at me sadly and I smiled kindly at him.

"You are very kind Indella. I am grateful to have chosen you. Not everyday do you get someone to help you, a talking frog, and not go crazy."

"Now, don't you have you to get to her? She does after all, owe you that promise." I smiled.

"Yes, yes she does."

"But why, must I ask, why do you ask of such a request?"

"I have to. I must. It is to ensure my freedom."

"Oh. Freedom?"

"That I cannot tell you as well. I am truly sorry Indella." he replied sadly.

"Well then, how about I request you of some? Let me take you there. To that palace. Oh and by which it reminds me, how did you know?"

He smiled. "It is by such that I did not know but of what I had to do. I had to do what I knew of it. She is a princess that will lead me to freedom as told to me."

I smiled confused, by nevertheless, carried on. He told me the directions and I finally came upon the gardens of a royal palace. I took everything in. The beauty of the decorated gardens and the arched and delicate designs of the palace.

"We are here at last." I said after awhile.

"Yes, it appears so."

It was then I noticed soldiers coming out. They carried spears or lances, them stuffed in armor. Their metal boots hit the ground, making a clanking sound.

"It seems I must leave you here little frog. I would not like to be caught by them."

"It appears so." he said sadly.

"Go and get your freedom little frog. Take this little charm for luck. I will take my leave here." I said as I gave him a charm I had tucked into my pocket.

I wrapped it around his little body and hoped it would stay on. He kept hold of it somehow and I smiled.

"But wait! You have not known the truth!"

"I do not need to know the truth any longer. It is not important. What is important is you getting your freedom. I hope it may be a rightful one. Make the best and righteous choices in your life little frog!" I cried out to him as he hopped off towards the giant doors of the palace.

I stood by and watched him a little longer. He called out a many times and until the doors opened and he entered, I would not leave. At last, the doors opened and the young girl appeared. The fright in her eyes concluded everything. She closed the door on him but after awhile, reluctantly let him in.

I pleaded for his safety and hoped he would regain his rightful self. I wished him the best of luck and headed on home.