06. Her World Becomes Flames

ANY OMINOUS NOISE that emitted outside the house had Maggie flinching.

Her legs and scalp continued to ache, painfully reminding her of what only happened hours ago. She remembered her heart pumped stridently with adrenaline and the sickening feeling of Emmett's dark gaze on her. The ambiguous shadows of the forest flew past her as she sprinted her way back to the house. She had slammed the door shut and locked all the windows with trembling hands.

It was now close to nine at night now, and she needed her brother to come home. She debated whether to call the local sheriff or interrupt her brother's important training for the new job.

However, she had no contact details for law enforcement, the local diner and her brother's phone was switched off.

How fucking unlucky.

She shuddered and curled up into a tight position on the couch. Maggie gripped the thick blanket wrapped around her form even tighter as if it would protect her from the confronting memories of Emmett.

Grabbing her phone off the coffee table, Maggie tried dialling Max's phone number again but only to hear the answering machine again. She hung up, frustrated but hoping her would soon return.

She was beginning to think it might not have been the best decision to move to Wolverton Falls.

Maggie was sure that Max would have moved them to a true place to call home – and one that was not inhabited by ferocious wolves and disturbing men.

Granted it was Alaska, so wolves were bound to be around and harbouring abnormal fear of the beasts was no help either, but it was strange to see so many close to town.

Maggie expected to see a lot of townsfolk; especially with the arrival of two new neighbours but she had barely met any. After only residing in the town for a few days, she realised that no-one had come out at night or even day. They keep the lights off, curtains closed and voices silent.

They're afraid of something.

Releasing a shaky breath, Maggie ran her hands through her hair, trying to untangle the knots. Standing up and stretching her lips, Maggie glanced out the nearby window absentmindedly.

A orange glow in the distance caught her attention. Her eyes narrowed as she approached the window to get a better look.

Was someone out there?

There was a small, dark structure she hadn't noticed before, situated outside in the backyard. It faced the entrance of the perilous forest.

Maggie hesitated for a moment, deliberating whether she should investigate or not.

She glanced at the night sky and the white crescent moon that hung among the stars. The forest floor was covered in a thick blanket of fog, shielding the nocturnal animals that possibly prowled within it. Crystallised leaves and icicles descended the wiry arms of the tree branches, glinting under the moonlight.

In a way, she lived in a beautiful area. The scenery was far more enchanting and freeing than her last homes in Anchorage. Perhaps her paranoia had clouded her. Her fear of the unknown and bleak childhood had always blinded her from seeing the beauty of nature.

Also, Maggie desperately needed the fresh air and had to overcome her irrational fears and grow the hell up.

It's okay. It's okay.

With determination, she slipped on some outdoor boots and swung the door open. She took a step outside, exhaled shakily and eyed the darkness surrounding her.