18. Revisiting Her Burned Memories

SHE AWOKE TO whispering chimes of the wind and the gentle rustles of treetops.

Maggie slowly became aware of how lethargic her motionless body felt. She could feel the soft fabric of the pile of fur-lined blankets that swarmed her. The hairs tickled her cheek, drawing her from her dreamless sleep. She blinked a few times until her vision focused and surroundings became clear.

She was back in the small tent she previously resided in. Hearing a shuffle at the end of her feet, she glanced to the subtle sound and let out a startled gasp as her body jerked in fright.

Placing her hand over her racing heart, Maggie watched Katya stare at her apologetically with a sheepish smile. "I am glad you are awake," She announced with tender voice when Maggie sat up, the rugs pooled around her waist.

Maggie quietly observed her, noticing her auburn hair layered into two dividing braids that began from the crown of her head. Her face was impeccably clean, enhancing the light dusting of freckles on her refined nose and cheeks. Katya's outfit had changed. She wore a light jacket over faded blue windcheater. Maggie vaguely wondered why she needed it on considering their higher body temperature.

Softly shaking the thoughts away, Maggie brought her hand up to her head. She hesitantly spoke, "What happened? Isaiah's e-eyes..." Her voice cracked, thick with fatigue as she began to recall the moments before she fell into her deep sleep.

His hauntingly ice-white eyes and pulsing, glowing hand burned another eternal memory in her mind causing her to shiver.

"Isaiah put you to sleep. You were panicking," Katya explained slowly, as if cautiously approaching a wounded animal. "I am surprised you were not out longer. Humans are more fragile and easily susceptible to Isaiah's influence."

Not knowing how to answer, Maggie nodded her head instead. It was still hard to understand the supernatural – especially one as complex as Isaiah.

"I have some better clothes for you here," Katya set a large pile of garments beside her before standing up. "Come out when you are ready."

"I'm going back into town then," Maggie mumbled distantly. Katya just gave her faint expression of confirmation. Breathing out a sigh, Maggie turned her head to the entrance of the tent, "What time is it?"

Katya informed her, "Around three in the afternoon. A blizzard is coming, that is why we need to get you to Wolverton Falls now." She pulled the zip of the tent opening upwards, allowing a thrust of bitter arctic air to intrude. Maggie shivered. In a blurred second, Katya leapt out gracefully without another word and the tent closed again.

Quickly undressing, Maggie proceeded to putting on the new clothes – careful not to touch the tender bruises on her skin. She zipped up a soft fleece sweater and dark protective jeans. She slipped on the black woollen gloves and waterproof jacket that would shield her from the stinging winds. Finally, she laced up the insulated boots, that were slightly too big for her, and tied the clumps of unwashed hair into a tangled bun at the nape of her neck.

As Maggie expected, Katya stood inches from the entrance of her tent. She also had thin black gloves on her hands; Maggie now understood why she wore the gloves and jacket.

So that she would appear normal when they moved back into town.

Still impervious to the bitter cold temperature, Katya turned once she felt Maggie's presence and sent her a small, reassuring smile. Katya swiftly explained that Luka would be coming as well as two other lycanthropes for their journey.

"For protection," Maggie concluded, biting her lip. "From Emmett."

Katya drew in a sharp breath, nodding sombrely. "I am afraid so," She paused momentarily, choosing her words carefully before vowing, "You will be safe with us."