Prophetic

Marshall POV

"So, you're not real," Na said with a smile. I cocked my head as she pointed to the waiting helicopter. 

"Who takes a woman on a helicopter ride for the second date?" she asked and I smiled and pulled her in by the waist, using the noise of the 'chopper as a reason to speak into her ear. 

"A man who knows how not to be seen when he doesn't want to be," I responded. 

I could feel Na's heartrate pick up as I held her close and I couldn't help the anticipation that coiled in my guts in response. I loved how she was with me. That was what was unreal - her responsiveness, her shine. For all that I could tell she was buried in stress and fear, she opened up with me. It was heady, knowing I did that. 

"Yeah," one of her body guards said as he looked at the helicopter with distaste. "He's not fucking real, alright. He's unbelievable."

My brows rose as Na turned on the man and then poked him in the chest. He stepped back, as if that action actually caused him concern. His hands rose in the air in surrender. Na didn't act like these guys were employees. She acted like they were friends. I liked it, even if part of me hated it, too.

"Quit," she demanded. "You guys know I've been a hermit for too long. Besides," she noted haughtily, "what's my stalker going to do? Use a ground to air missile?" she asked and the guard nodded with a twist of his lips. 

"Fine," he murmured. "But the only way we don't have to send one of us up with you to chaperone your date is if you swear you don't land anywhere but right back here," he said, pointing to the ground under his feet. 

I knew it was coming, but I admit to some frustration on that. I was planning on having the pilot take us up into Canada today. We'd get an afternoon of screwing around, likely with no recognition of me and certainly none of her. Body guards aren't subtle, though. If we went around with one of them, there was a good chance I got spotted, even if the guard wasn't for me. It could end our date in a hurry. 

"What if," Na said, head tilted and her eyes contemplative, "I promise that I won't be anywhere that my stalker could possibly guess?" she asked. The guard started to argue, but then Jay came up and clapped him on the back. 

"Go ahead, Morena," Jay said. "But if your ass gets accosted because of him, that's not on us," he continued and Na grinned and then gave him a hug. 

"You're the best, Jay," she said. 

I watched him give her a short squeeze before his eyes caught mine. My displeasure must have been clear, because he immediately let go and raised his hands, keeping his eyes on me. I nodded and then snaked a hand around Na's waist, tugging her toward the helicopter. 

"You have his number, right?" I asked and Na nodded. 

"We'll let you know when we're coming back," I called over my shoulder. 

Na was like a little girl, her excitement so palpable as we strapped in and the co-pilot explained the safety features and rules for the ride. She was practically bouncing in her seat, which left me with a bone-deep satisfaction. I couldn't take away the threat of the fucker who was obsessed with her, but I could make her smile - I could make her happy. 

We were ten minutes into the ride when I realized that I'd made an error. I hadn't told Na where we were going. She wouldn't have a passport with her, which would mean that she wouldn't be able to get off the damn helicopter. As I groaned into my headset, she looked at me in concern. I glanced at the pilot and then spoke to her. 

"You won't be able to get off," I said with disappointment. "You don't have a passport with you."

Na grinned and winked, pulling out her phone and digging into the silicone pocket she had attached to the back. In a flash, she had a card held up in the air. I frowned and looked closer.

"It's a passport card," she said. "I carry it with me, since I have projects going in Mexico and Canada," she explained. "I couldn't go to other countries without the actual book, but this will get me into those two." I nodded and smiled, thankful that the trip hadn't gotten fucked up before it started. 

The ride was quick and punctuated with the happy squeals and outbursts of the gorgeous woman beside me. At one point, she leaned into me and kissed my cheek, her hand coming to rest on my thigh. When she pulled back, I trapped her hand against me, unwilling to let the heat of her go. 

When we landed on Manitoulin, Na was thrumming with energy. She seemed to vibrate more than the helicopter as we waited for the all clear to get off. Once we did, she grabbed my hand and tugged me along, grinning at me over her shoulder. There are a lot of things I've seen over the years, but her joyfulness was without comparison. 

After we made it through security, we wandered toward the rentals. After I knew we could land, I'd texted my assistant to set up a car for us. It was smooth sailing and, in under ten minutes, we were on our way. 

We were near Kagawong, so the first place I was taking Na was the falls. I was sure she'd love it - the brief searching I'd done made it sound like exactly the kind of thing she'd be down for. When we got there, I wasn't disappointed. 

Bridal Veil Falls was right out of a post card. As the mist of the water rose in the air, you could imagine being in fairyland or some shit. It was striking and real; the water, greenery, and rocks all combining to leave one with the impression of purity and life. 

As we took it in, Na wrapped her arms around me and snuggled her head into my neck. I tightened my hold around her, sighing into the feel. When I'd gotten pissy and hung up on her, I hadn't realized how much I'd miss her. As day after day of not even seeing her run had gone by, I'd become intractable. Yesterday, holding her had helped me to ease that tension. Now, however, there was more. 

My chest was tight with that excited, nervous emotion called hope. Na felt right in my arms. She fit in a way that was indescribable and I closed my eyes as I savored it. As the months of watching her had continued, I'd known, somewhere deep inside, there was a chance of this. To have it confirmed - to actually experience the pleasure that came with just touching her, having her near - was perfection itself. 

When I bent my head to her, tagging her lips in a slow, sensual kiss, I resolved myself to the risk. This beautiful woman, with her walls and fear but her hiding confidence and light, had the real possibility of fucking me up.  As it turned out, taking her was prophetic. 

Falls, indeed.