Introduction and Chapter I

TITLE: From Russia with Love

SUMMARY: Lucas arrives home from Russia intent on getting his life back, including the love of a woman whose memory's kept him alive.

AUTHOR: Lexie aka lillianschild

RATING: PG-15/R

FANDOM: Spooks

PAIRING: Lucas/Vyeta

GENRE: Drama/romance

Disclaimer: all recognisable characters belong to BBC and Kudos Productions; I'm just playing with them for a little while without making a profit. No infringement's intended.

A/N: I'm going to use some events from the beginning of Series 7 and put my own spin on them to suit my needs. In other words, the plot's going to be largely AU after Lucas' introduction.

I can't stand Sarah Caulfield, and Maya's a reminder of the way TPTB destroyed Lucas' journey and Richard's painstaking work building the character, so neither of them was an option as a romantic couple for this fic.

I could have come up with an OC, I suppose. However, I loved most of the scenes Lucas was in with Vyeta and all the potential of their storyline, which was thrown down the drain pretty fast. I'm sorry, but never in a million years would they convince me Maya was the love of his life and the woman he'd never been able to forget after watching the way he was around his ex-wife in Series 7.

In short, I'm going to explore what could have been if the writers had done their work properly.

A/N 2:Here's one of my Lucas/Vyeta all-time favourite videos made by the wonderful Spikesbint. Not only does it share the same title, it goes perfectly with the plot of this tale.

"From Russia with Love"-Lucas & Elizabeta-Spooks (on YouTube);

PROLOGUE

Monday November 3rd, 2008

He's been on English soil for a week. He's supposed to be finally back home after his hellish eight-year imprisonment in Lubyanka and yet, that sense of belonging that is expected from a member of Her Majesty's Service returned to his homeland isn't there. How could it be when Harry- his mentor and the man he cares for like a second father- has revoked his temporary clearance at work, the one place where he'd always known who he was before his forced exile? How could he feel back home when everyone but Malcolm is a stranger to him on The Grid and when he is still a dead man to the one person who's filled his thoughts for eight years? Elizaveta Starkova. Vyeta. His wife; the one he'd lost even before boarding the plane to Moscow on that ill-fated mission a lifetime ago.

He remembers what he had and what he lost, and dreams of getting it back.

She's well and happy. He hasn't been able to think of anything else since Harry's cryptic reply in the bathroom at Thames House; a pregnant silence that has done nothing but robbed him of sleep- the one he's supposed to be catching up on during his leave of absence while the MI5 psychiatrist, his superiors and his physical prove he's fit for active service again.

He's spent most of the day cleaning the flat MI5 got him in the south-west of the capital and unpacking what little he has in this world, mostly novels and poetry books Malcolm kept for him in his attic. Lucas has developed an obsession with order and cleanliness, an unconscious and irrepressible urge to remove all physical trace and memory of the acrid and fetid odours which assailed his nostrils for eight years; an anal compulsion that provides him with a false sense of control over his own life.