June 1st

You awoke to a shift in the mattress behind you, feeling it dip and creak under the weight of Tom's body. For a moment, you debated going back to sleep, knowing it was just him getting back into bed after letting Tess out and giving her breakfast - until you remembered what day it was. Saturday June 1st.

One eye screwed shut against the light, you peeked over your shoulder to see Tom lying on his back with his phone held two inches from his face, squinting at the screen, the other hand resting on his bare stomach with his little finger tucked into the waistband of his boxers.

"Hi."

He looked over at the sound of your voice cutting through the quiet, pulling his attention away from his phone - and his grip, apparently, the device slipping from his fingers and hitting him squarely in the face. "Hey-ow, fuck-"

You giggled sleepily as you rolled over, stretching up to kiss his nose first, and then his lips.

"Happy birthday, tiger."

He stole one more kiss before you lay back down, capturing your lips with his before you could even finish your sentence. Settling your head on his pillow with his shoulder tucked under your chin, you threw your leg over his and an arm across his middle, your fingers slotting in between his on his stomach.

You did have plans for the day - quite a few, actually - but you weren't quite ready to start on them just yet, your eyes growing heavy once more as Tom shifted beside you, getting comfortable again. You lay like that for a while, pressing the occasional barely-conscious kiss to his shoulder while he scrolled through birthday wishes, fingers curled around his phone a little tighter than before. It didn't take long, though, before he started to fidget, putting his phone down with a heavy sigh. His body shifted, arching his back as much as he could with you half-lying on top of him, his fingers wiggling between yours. You felt him twist his neck to look at you, nudging the top of your head with his chin. His breath tickled you as he huffed at your lack of response, and it took everything in you not to laugh, but you wanted to pretend to be asleep, just to see how far he'd go to wake you up.

"Hey," Stretching his free arm across to touch your upper arm, Tom rubbed gentle circles on your skin with his thumb, but you remained silent.

"I know you're awake."

There was a beat of silence before you mumbled into his shoulder. "...no I'm not."

His laugh was loud and bright in your ear, and that was almost enough to get you up. Almost.

"Oh, okay. Can I have my arm back, at least?"

With his shoulder and most of his arm trapped under your body, he lifted his arm as much as he could before letting it flop back down uselessly. Making a big show of stretching, you took a deep breath in and tensed your body, drawing your knee up towards your chest and squeezing his hand before relaxing.

"Fine." Letting go of his hand, you leaned back enough to let him pull his arm free, resting your head on his chest once he'd folded his arm up behind his head. "'Kay, night."

Tom whined as you let your body go limp. He poked your arm, the complete lack of tension in your muscles letting the force nudge your whole upper body.

"Wake up."

Poke

"It's nearly twelve."

Poke

"It's my birthdaaaaay"

Poke - you turned your head to bury your face in his chest to hide the smile growing on your lips.