assignment

Author's note: Hey so this is a slight variation from cannon. In this, nobody learns Dick's identity but he becomes Nightwing, Tim is Robin, and Damian is around but not a part of the heroics.

▪ ▪ ▪

"So let me get this straight," Artemis started, pointing an accusing finger at Nightwing and Robin. "You two get to sit out this 'mission' while the rest of us have to babysit?"

"Yeah, its because they are obviously Bruce Wayne's sons, duh." Wally West dead panned, stuffing some popcorn in his mouth.

Nightwing snorted, punching his teammate on the shoulder. "Yeah, me and Robin are total rich snobs in civilian life."

"Our butler serves us tea and crumpets on fine china." Robin said in a horrible faux British accent, snickering when he was done speaking.

"Can you imagine?" Nightwing chuckled, half serious because he would pay half the money in his inheritance to see Timothy Drake drink tea that wasn't caffeinated.

Nightwing's chuckles died out when Batman walked into the room, glaring at his two proteges. "Nightwing, Robin, meet me in the Batcave so we can depart for our mission. The rest of you, Black Canary will be handling the briefing today."

"What? Why not you?" Conner Kent asked, a slightly frustrated tone to his voice.

"Because I have more important matters to intend to." Like making sure my youngest knows that killing and or maiming my team or his brothers is strictly prohibited.  Batman turned to his two proteges who had yet to move. "Cave. Now."

Robin turned to the squad with a smirk. "Have fun hanging out with the snobs, I'm sure it will be a blast."

"Try to keep your cool, Conner and Artemis, I heard the youngest has the combined temper of both of you." Nightwing snickered, following his younger brother into the zeta tubes before Batman left after them, leaving the team with Black Canary.

Dinah walked over to the holographic computer used for mission briefings, typing for a moment before pulling up four profiles. She glanced over at the team, gesturing for them to come closer. "These four are the Waynes. Obviously, the grown adult is Bruce Wayne, CEO of Wayne Enterprises and father of the three Wayne brothers that you are assigned to protect."

"Excuse me, but what exactly are we protecting the brothers from?" M'gann asked, raising her hand as if she were in class.

Dinah laughed a little under her breath, shaking her head slightly. "You've obviously never been to Gotham. It's a real hell hole and all the rogues there are always gunning for the Waynes." That shut the teens up enough for Black Canary to continue giving the profiles. "The eldest of the three brothers is Richard Grayson, better known as Dick. He is a seventeen year old gymnast who was taken in by Bruce when his parents died during a performance when he was nine. He should be relatively easy, seeing as he is practically your age, but he did like to cause mischief when he was younger."

"I went to school with him, he is friends with the commissioners daughter." Artemis chimed in, noting that there was something familiar about Dick's smirk in the picture they used for his profile.

"Next up we have Timothy Drake, the thirteen year old heir to Wayne and Drake enterprises. He was taken in by Bruce when his parents were killed in a robbery gone bad. Tim may give you a harder time, seeing as his parents' deaths are more raw than Dick's and he suffers from insomnia due to the nightmares."

"Nightmares?"

"He was the one who found his parents' bodies." The room fell silent, the team staring at the bags under the thirteen year old's eyes and the false smile plastered on his face. Dinah cleared her throat, clicking on the last profile. "And lastly we have Bruce Wayne's only biological son, Damian Al-Ghul Wayne. Yes, you heard me correctly. Talia Al-Ghul is his mother. She recently gave Damian to Bruce after keeping him hidden for nine years. Damian will give you the hardest time, he has a rough time getting along with Tim and is fiercely attached to Dick, plus he doesn't like strangers. And, don't tell him I said this, he is kind of a snob."

"Let me get this right; we have a circus act, an insomniac, and a spoiled baby to protect for a month instead of doing recon for the League?" Artemis all but whined.

Black Canary winked, a grin worming its way onto her face as she led the team towards the bioship to depart for Gotham City. "Precisely."