Chapter 3

It wasn't until after school that the two girls could talk about the mysterious Bakugan again Amari dug him out from her bag, glad to have found him slightly cooler than before and having left no holes in her bag. She slid him back into her pocket, a safe place for him, in her mind, as she and Kumiko walked home together.

The result of the battle still sat in the forefront of Amari's mind. With every sway of her arms, she could feel the bruises forming on her elbows. With every step, she could feel the Bakugan in her pocket. She swore she could still feel the post-battle heat still lingering. And although the Bakugan didn't talk, hadn't said anything during or after the battle, Amari knew this was no ordinary Bakugan that she'd stumbled upon. The look in his eyes during the battle could've set her cards on fire - she was surprised that it hadn't.

Maybe that's why she found him in the fountain. If someone had him before, he must have scared them bad enough to throw him away.

"So, what's your plan?"

The words dragged Amari from her daydream, and her own words took a time to come forward through the fog of her mind and billowing thoughts.

"With the Bakugan? I don't know, I didn't get the best look of him when he was in battle."

Kumiko sighed and kicked a rock from the sidewalk into the road.

"Me neither - there was just too much light. You sure he's not a Haos Bakugan?"

"I don't know, I must have gotten confused by its black and purple markings." Amari shrugged.

"Ok, no need to get snarky. Maybe he's just new, then."

Amari nearly stoppe din her tracks to flash her friend an are-you-kidding-me face.

"When have you ever met a Bakugan who could take out two other Bakugan, including one that's on a completely different card, right after it's thrown into battle?"

"You're right," Kumiko hummed. "Are you going to put it in the chats tonight?"

"I don't know," Amari shrugged. "I don't think so. I'm more interested in reading more about that masked battler."

"But what if you could learn more about the Bakugan by posting about him?"

"I'd rather learn more about him myself before I even think about posting about him."

"You won't learn anything about him if you don't."

"I said no, Kumiko," Amari snapped. The two girls stopped and stared at each other. The harshness of Amari's voice brought about an air of tension that hung heavy between the two of them. "I don't want to post anything about him.

Kumiko took a deep breath.

"Fine," she said on the exhale, her eyes still locked with Amari's. "I'll do my own research for you."

"Kumiko-"

A phone rang -

Kumiko brought her bag around from her back and dug for her phone.

"Hang on - my mom wants me home to help with the chores." She sighed, stuffing her phone back into her bag. "Being the oldest sibling does have it's perks, I suppose. I'll text you later, let you know if I find out anything worth knowing."

"Sure," Amari said. "I'll see if I can find anything on that masked guy who's taking Bakugan. I still think the two might be connected."

"That's why we're doing research, isn't it?" Kumiko smirked, turning toward the direction of her street.

"Right," Amari smiled. "See you tomorrow!"

Amari waved her friend off and Kumiko waved back as she took off for her street. The two could have continued walking together another block or two, but Kumiko always too the shortcut whenever her mom told her to come home early. But Amari didn't mind walking home alone, she did it almost everyday. She just liked having someone to talk to.