66

"I need to finish my essay," Penelope said as Chara embraced her from behind. When the sophomore kissed her neck, a moan escaped Penelope's lips. However, it was hard to give into the sweet sensation.

Even when she found Chara's soft, glossy lips, it was as if an internal timer started ringing in her mind. She broke the kiss and resumed typing. "Sister Barnes is seriously out to get me. Who assigns a twenty page dissertation on the use of fire as a motif in Jane Eyre due in two days? "

"Aww, you're so cute when you're worried." Chara eased back after a final peck, leaning over Penelope's desk to study the whirlwind of books and papers sprawled on top of it. "Well, good thing we have the rest of the weekend to knock it out. How can I help?"

"I already feel bad forcing Wallace to do my homework months ago." She shook her head as she typed away. "You've been amazing. But I can get this done if you stop distracting me." Penelope grinned. "You're too beautiful."

"I know," Chara said, plopping on her bed. Her roommate, and about a third of St. Rosemunde's student body was at the Rinzen Anniversary Banquet. She sucked in a breath as she expelled the thought of Wallace, his promise to take her to the event and prom what felt like eons ago.

Her attention then returned to Penelope, who was laser focused on her essay of literary hell. The whole scene was depressing, and she had no desire to remain a part of it. So she hopped to her feet and started to close Penelope's laptop screen.

"Hey," the junior barked with an intensity rivaling a pitbull. "Didn't you just hear what I said?"

"You've been typing for over eight hours," Chara informed her. "We're going to get some fresh air and then you can resume. Taking scheduled breaks is proven to increase productivity. "

"I only have twenty-two hours now," Penelope warned. "I really need to get this done."

"And I will help you when we return. But right now, we need ice cream."

Penelope rolled her eyes. "It's after midnight."

"You're acting like there's a wrong time to eat ice cream." Chara laughed, pulling the girl to her feet. "Come on!"

Penelope could only groan in response.

***

The rest of the dormitory was more or less a ghost town. When Penelope and Chara made it to the lounge on the first floor where the ice cream vending machine was, the eeriness of the space could not be denied.

"Even the RA is MIA," Chara said as she poked her head in the lobby, which connected to the resident assistant's darkened office. She took a bite from her orange creamsicle. "Guess we really are free to go outside."

"Chara."

"Penny," Chara teased back. "I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't think you needed it. You won't allow yourself to sleep and fresh air is the only thing that might clear your mind enough to finish the paper strong. Besides, it's not like we're trying to leave campus."

"You really do like to flirt with danger," Penelope sighed. "It's cute, but it's going to get you in trouble."

"Are you saying you want to punish me?" Chara said with seductive eyes. Penelope rolled hers again.

"Maybe after the paper."

"I'm holding you to it." Grabbing her girlfriend's hand, they started for the darkened campus. Somehow it was less creepy outdoors, the scene was serene and the moon offered enough light to guide them through the paved path toward main campus. The cool March air also helped.