Chapter 15 A Happy Thought

Chapter 15

A Happy Thought

We initially all planned on staying at Hogwarts for Christmas break. However one morning, I found that Harry and the entire Weasley family had gone. I learned that Ron's dad was attacked during the night. Somehow, Harry had a dream that connected to Voldemort's thoughts and knew right as it was happening.

I had not even been awake for an hour when word came to me my aunt was here to pick me up. I had little time to pack. Once we left, we went straight to St. Mungos.

"How is Mr. Weasley," I asked, once we were in the wizarding hospital.

"He's recovering," Aunt Becky answered. "It was a snake attack."

"Voldemort's snake," I recalled seeing it at the graveyard that night.

"Melanie, don't say his name, especially here," Aunt Becky cautioned. "People will get upset."

I sighed and nodded.

We walked in silence down the hall for a moment, before she asked me quietly, "You're still doing those meetings Mundugus saw you doing that one day, aren't you?"

I let out a breath, knowing there was no point in denying it. "Yes."

Aunt Becky too sighed. "I figured you would, especially if your friends are doing it."

I looked up at her. "Are you mad?"

"The only thing that upsets me is the idea of you getting expelled," she said. "Part of me actually can't help but be proud of you. Its exactly the kind of thing your father would have done if he were in your situation."

I smiled. I always liked being compared to Andre.

"Just be very careful," she cautioned, quietly. "That's all I ask."

I raised my eyebrow. "So you're not going to try and stop me?"

"If I did, it sounds like you won't learn your magical defenses properly," she answered. "I just can't have that. Andre would be utterly ashamed of me."

I beamed at her, now more than ever glad she was my aunt.

"Just maybe try to get in a little less trouble the second half of the year," she suggested. "Your detention record is becoming quite a concern, Melanie. I think this is the worst year you've had by far."

"I know," I grumbled. "It's just hard with Umbridge and Snape. If neither of them were teaching I'd probably never be in detention at all."

"Just follow the rules, and try to keep quiet. That's all you have to do," she informed me.

I grinned at her. "Just follow the rules, but still keep up with my illegal group. Is that what you're telling me?"

Aunt Becky laughed and said, "Well yes, I suppose it is. How about don't do anything Hermione Granger wouldn't do."

"That's pushing it," I said to her but laughed too.

I met up with Harry, Ron and Hermione on the floor for witches and wizards that were attacked by magical creatures.

"Hey Melanie, you're never going to believe what we found out about Neville's parents," Ron said to me. "They were cursed to insanity. They are actually staying here."