Dreamer

Chapter One 

Dreamer 

"Oh-ehm-gee, you died your hair? Why? You know everybody loves your hair! Dying it will make your hair all frizzy and nasty! Orlaith!"  

"Sorcha! Shut up, you know I hate my name! Besides, all I did was chop it all off in this new rugged boy hair look and died the edges bright red. It wasn't much, but it looks way awesome." 

"Really? Brady's bound to notice you now . . .," she trailed off. "Still, now you'll get split ends from that dye. Even though it will look awesome and such. But, still. Oh, I bet that red compliments both your golden skin tone and your lovely golden locks." 

"Sorcha, please tell me you did not refer to my hair as 'golden locks'. And you said golden twice. It sounds weird. Anyway that is so far beyond cheesy it isn't even funny." Through the phone I could hear her giggling. 

"And it will compliment those big round yellow gems you have for eyes, and your cute little button nose will be complimented with the style of hair you have, and that cute little bow mouth you have will look just as cute as ever, and . . .," she couldn't finish her sentence because she was giggling so hard, and I couldn't help it. I laughed along with her. It was so cheesy and stupid it was funny. 

"You do realize you 'cute' about ten times and that you referred to my eyes as 'big round yellow gems', right?" She snorted and I knew she did it all on purpose, just to make me laugh. 

"Lia, you do know that you are pretty any way you look right? You don't need to cut your hair or anything like that." 

"Sorcha, yes I do know that. However I didn't do it just to get Brady's attention. I did it because I was bored of my old look. I didn't know you would think of me as so shallow that because a boy doesn't notice me I change my whole look for him? Come on Sorcha, get real. I gotta go." 

"Bu--,"  

"Bye Sorcha," I said as I was hanging up the phone. Right after I hung up the phone I felt bad, Sorcha was probably only trying to be nice, and I turned it completely around. 

For some reason, that got me thinking of how we met. 

On the first day of sixth grade I felt lost, and completely alone. It was going to be a complete nightmare. All those new people are going to make fun of my name. Plus, everything here was covered in iron. I needed clean steel, or something.  

Next thing I knew I bumped into a girl.  

"Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going," I said nervously. 

"No problem, I wasn't either. Hi, my names Sorcha, what's yours?" I stared at her in shock. She had lovely blue-black hair that came to waist, and was colored so darkly her skin seemed black, which was only intensified by the all black ensemble that she so proudly wore. She had eyes that seemed almost violet, only a shade or two lighter, with a hint of yellow. It was gorgeous. And she had a marvelous British accent. 

"That's your name? Sorcha? My name is, um, well, Orlaith," I said quietly. Sorcha then beamed at me. "Ah, another person with a crazy parent, huh? Who was it, mum, or dad?" She smiled at me again and this time I smiled back.  

"Mom, you?" 

"Ditto, although dad agreed though so technically it's both of their faults. What classes are you in fair Orlaith?" 

"Um, I prefer to be called Lia, and I don't know." We then took out our schedules and found out we had all the same classes. And, I knew then that we would be friends for a very long time.