Chapter IV

De, I know you didn't enjoy all the changes I made in this story, but you were still so supportive and I am so thankful for that. Dedicating this chapter to you :)

*****************************************************************************************

Chapter IV

“What’s this?” Uncle Andrew stared at me in shock. I had little Evy on my hip and Arthur was hiding behind my skirt.

“Not what, who?” I corrected. “Uncle Andrew, Harriet died yesterday. They buried her this morning and I have brought her grandchildren to live with us. The boy is Arthur and the girl is Evelyn.”

Uncle Andrew’s eyes got wider and wider as I spoke and by the end of it he sank into his seat. “Sarah…you…when…how…I…I don’t know what to say.” He gazed at the two children without blinking, his thoughts obviously in a whirl. “Harriet died?” He decided to start at the beginning.

“Yes sir. I happened to be present when she passed away. The poor woman, she was hanging by a thread that snapped. Oh Uncle Andrew, Providence itself allowed me to find her when I did. Just think, one more day and I would have been too late.”

“What do you plan to do with them?” Uncle motioned towards the children. He was obviously having trouble comprehending all I was telling him

“I thought they could live here until they are old enough to start their own lives. I promised they wouldn’t be enslaved, it was very important to Harriet. They can work their room and board until they have grown.”

Uncle Andrew sat deep in thought. “How old are they?” He asked at last.

“Arthur is ten and Evelyn is four.”

“Ten? That is a little old for him to be Harriet’s grandchild; she couldn’t have been older than forty.”

“He’s not exactly her grandchild. He's an orphan she took in.”

“Aha, that makes more sense. Well,” Uncle Andrew exhaled slowly.  “The boy can work in the stables. Now that I’ve made George our butler we could use another hand to help with the horses.”

“I want to work with the horses too!” Evy suddenly spoke out.

I covered her mouth with my hand.

“Stable work isn’t for little girls,” Uncle Andrew replied. “She can find work in the kitchen. Lulu knows how to handle girls and will find her something to do.”

Evy made a face, not happy with this idea. The child had a lot of spirit and was very willful, but she would have to learn to follow Uncle Andrew’s orders while living here. Uncle Andrew’s word was law in our house.

“There is plenty of food in the kitchen,” I whispered, “and I’ll take you to see the horses every day.”

“Alright.” She whispered back.

I saw my uncle put his head in his right hand and I felt bad for surprising him the way I did.

“Take them to Lulu and have her find somewhere to put them. Then come back to my study. You have some explaining to do,” He told me.

“Yes sir.”

“Oh, and Sarah.” He called after me. “Whatever you do, don’t let your aunt find out they are Harriet’s grandchildren.”

“Yes sir.”

Lulu was nearly as shocked as Uncle had been.

“Really, Miss Sarah, bringing children into the house? What will it be next?”