Veiled

Ahahahahaha what do you mean it's been half a year.

Sorry *sweatdrop*

Now, enjoy!

~'0'~

Tenma's weekend begins with a letter.

It arrives early on Sunday morning, the small lightning bolt in the corner of the envelope making it stand out from the rest of the mail. The brunet is shifting through the different envelopes, on his way to the living room to give his father the post, when he notices it and it has him faltering for a few moments.

Especially when he sees it's directed to him.

Shaking it off, he quickly continues on his way and, after placing the other papers on the coffee table, sinks down on the couch with the letter in hand. With quick fingers he opens it, only pausing when Kichirou glances around the corner of the kitchen. ''What you got there, buddy?''

Tenma gives his father a fleeting smile. ''A letter from school,'' he answers and that's enough for the man to step out of the kitchen, slinging a dishcloth over his shoulder as he does so. His son is pulling the letter out of the envelope and Kichirou sits down next to him, keeping his curiosity at bay for now in order to give the younger brunet a bit of privacy.

Tenma, for his part, scans the contents of the letter carefully, the slight tremble in his hands making it just a bit harder than it should be – because really, there is only one thing this could be.

And he's right.

We are pleased to inform you of your acceptance into Raimon High School's second soccer team.

That's the sentence that really stands out.

He breathes out slowly, reading the letter once, then twice, to make sure he hasn't missed anything. Then he's thrusting it into his father's hands, silent.

It takes Kichirou a few minutes to read it and then he's lowering it in favour of glancing at the teen next to him. Tenma's face is mostly unreadable, so the man takes a moment to release a deep breath.

''Are you happy with this?''

The teen tenses for a second and then gives a shrug.

''I- I guess, I mean,'' he hesitates for a few moments, ''it's a start, right?''

Kichirou grins at that, ruffling his hair and ignoring the boy's sputtering protests.

~'0'~

Monday morning passes without much interest, the teachers slowly introducing the new students to the works of high school after a week of getting used to their new surroundings. The first classes pass easily, and so does lunch break, after which Tenma has a free period.

The brunet navigates through the halls of his new school, taking the by now familiar route to the library. He slips inside the double doors, taking a moment to enjoy the quiet before moving to the counter, where a few other students are gathered. ''Good morning everyone,'' he greets as he joins them, placing his bag by the wall.

''Ah, morning, Matsukaze,'' greets Katsuragi, giving him a slight wave. ''You're just on time for your shift. Do you remember who you would be working with?''

The brunet nods. ''Hirota-senpai, right?''

''Yup,'' responds the vice-president, before gesturing the boy in question over. ''Oi, Hirota, remember Matsukaze? He's new, so be nice.''

The teen, a third-year, Tenma would guess, rolls his eyes. ''Of course I will, I've been doing this for three years,'' he mutters, before shooting the brunet himself a friendly smile. ''Your nameplate is finished, it's on the coffee table. Just make sure it's visible on your uniform so students and teachers know you're part of the committee.''