The Damage

Being so tired from talking to Ella all night, Evie was less than happy when she was woken by a phone call at nine-thirty in the morning. Blinking the sleep from her eyes, Evie reached toward her bedside table, and took her phone off the charger, more or less by yanking until it came free. Through squinted eyes, she saw the name of the caller, and groaned. After sliding her thumb to the right, she lifted the phone to her ear and waited. A gravelly voice, hinted with an accent, said "Evie, why couldn't you listen?"

Evie

"What are you talking about, Harry?" she quietly moaned into the phone, worried about waking up Ella.

"I told you, Evie. I told you multiple times to not tell anyone." Worry started to grip at Evie's heart. Propping herself up on her elbow, she looked across the room to where Ella was suppose to be sleeping. But her bed was empty, and cold. "Whomever you told is very loose lipped. Your name is all over the internet."

"But...there is no way that happened. I only told Ella. We have been friends since we were six! I trust her."

"If that is the only person you told, then it means it could have only been her. I'm sorry, Evie, but I warned you that people will do anything for money." Harry's voice was monotone, and edged with disappointment, which made the anxiety in Evie's chest tighten.

Pushing back the comforter, she got out of bed, and walked to the window. It was narrow, with only thin metal shingles blocking the sun. When she opened them, she contemplated climbing back into bed, and never moving. Outside of her dorm were multiple news vans and reporters. How did they find out where her dorm was?......Ella? Is this why she suddenly became so interested in the boys last night, and wouldn't let her sleep until she knew everything? She had chalked it up to her being a big fan, but the more she thought of it, the more she realized how out of place it was.

"Harry, my dorm is surrounded by paparazzi." Her soul ached as she felt her closest friend drift away from her. Her voice must have trembled, despite how hard she tried to control it, because Harry's voice softened when he spoke again.

"I thought that was obvious, love." Evie waited for him to continue, too numb to speak. "We come and rescue you!"

After Harry promised they would be there as soon as they could, she hung up. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't resist checking her phone. She had so many mentions and new followers on Twitter, that it had given up counting, and multiple text messages from friends. Her parent's hadn't sent her anything, and she managed a smile. They were too disconnected from the entertainment news these days, and she was grateful for it now.

The tweets varied in harshness. Some were sweet, while others wished for her deaths in ways she had never thought possible. It reminded her of when Selena Gomez first started dating Justin Bieber, and she was receiving death threats from eleven year olds. Well, hopefully my little cousin doesn't get jealous, Evie thought.

One text message surprised her, though.

"Louis T. : Hey, Evie. You probably know by now that people found out who you are. I am so sorry. I know how scary this can be, but we will find a way through it, alright? I promise.

P.S. We are coming incognito to pick you up. Just look out for the black SUV. Xx

-007"

Evie didn't realize that Louis would care so much about how she was feeling. Yes, she was friends with them now, but she didn't think they were as close as she and Harry were. But she appreciated the attempt at a joke. The ice in her blood thawed a little at the gesture.

It was over an hour until Harry sent her a text saying they were waiting for her in the parking lot behind her dorm. Overly worried about being noticed, Evie piled her hair into a dark gray beanie, so they wouldn't be able to determine her hair color. She zipped up her jacket, pulled her hood up and put on her sunglasses. Thankfully, it was more chilly today, so it didn't seem so out of place. Taking a deep breath, she locked her door, and walked out of the building.

•••

It wasn't until she passed the last slime ball that Evie could finally breathe again. Crossing the bridge into the parking lot, she looked all around for the black SUV. She would have to have a talk with Louis, because he was way too vague. She began to walk toward the right side of the parking lot, when she heard a loud screech of tires, and smelled burning rubber. From her left, sped a large black car. She would have laughed, had it not been coming straight for her.

Harry

Niall is never driving again, Harry decided from the passenger seat. Not only did he not seem to understand the concept of a speed limit, he also didn't seem to understand that a yellow light meant to slow down, and not go faster.

He and the boys had been waiting in the parking lot for a few minutes before Evie came into view. They were parked over to the left, trying to be discreet. Niall said something about how this is what they did in the movies. For some reason, the rest of the lads were acting like they were James Bond. Harry thinks it was something Louis had started.

Harry was just about to tell Niall that he could pull over to where she was walking, when he quickly shifted gears, and slammed on the gas. The wheels screamed, and Niall was biting his tongue in concentration. He quickly turned the corner, managing to drift in the large SUV.

"Niall!" he shouted. "Slow down, you're going to hit her." Which wasn't far from true. Evie's face was contorted in fear, seemingly unable to move. Right before Harry could jerk the wheel away from him, Niall slammed on the breaks, only a few feet away from Evie. When he looked around, expecting to see the other boys mirroring his look of horror, he only found Louis, who looked like he was about to puke. The rest of the boys had run out, and were attempting to smuggle Evie into the car, all with smiles lighting up their faces. It wasn't until then that Harry realized he hadn't been breathing.

Never again.

He also hadn't realized how anxious he had been to see Evie. When he had received the first tweets mentioning her real name, his heart sank. This wasn't how it was suppose to go. He wasn't suppose to ruin another girl's life. Especially not someone as inherently good as Evie. When Liam finally managed to push a squirming Evie into a seat, Harry turned around, and tried to give her a smile. But all of her attention was on someone else. Louis.

----------

A/N:

Oh no! Who will it be? Harry or Louis? Who do you want it to be? Let me know what you think in the comments!!

Hey guys! I am so sorry I have been inactive. I have been very busy getting settled into this school year. But I have really missed writing, and want to be able to keep this story going for you guys!

We made it to over 1,000 views! That makes me so psyched!

So, if you want me to keep this story going, please keep voting, and let me know what you think in the comments! And tell your friends! :)

Thank you again everyone!!