ii. school trip

CHAPTER TWO

✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ

SCENTED MOISTURE SPRITZS out of Sophia's perfume bottle as she points and shoots it in different areas of her room, hoping to block out the atrocious scent flowing through her house that's coming from outside.

Now drowning in the strong smell of roses, Sophia continues moving around her room as she grabs last minute things to pack up for the school's camping trip up in the mountains. The girl, who normally hates anything to do with getting dirty, actually has feelings of excitement over getting to be with her friends — and away from her parents — for a week and a half, even if she's been told to pack her ugliest clothing items and the least amount of her everyday necessities. Luckily for Sophia, she knows exactly how to fold her clothes into suitcases so she can pack up all kinds of different outfits and not go passed the luggage limit.

"Danny!" Sophia yells out as she struggles with closing her leopard print suitcase.

Small footsteps come thumping toward her bedroom before the girl's favorite ten year old stops in her doorway.

"Yeah?" Sophia's little brother questions, watching the girl struggle.

"Help me with my suitcase, please?" Sophia draws out as she blows a strand of hair out of her face, breathless from her fight with the luggage.

Daniel lets out a dramatic sigh but walks over to the girl's suitcase on the floor and proceeds to sit on it, squashing the two sides together.

Sophia sends the boy a wide smile before kneeling back down and zipping the contraption shut.

"You are a genius, kid." Sophia says as she watches Daniel stand back up.

"Yeah, yeah. You know what this is gonna cost you." Daniel says with his hands on his hips.

Sophia rolls her eyes with a knowing laugh, "I don't think me crafting a whole Harry Styles inspired baby gap suit for your elementary school promotion is the equivalent to you squashing my suitcase with your big butt."

Daniel mimics Sophia's famous eye roll, "Please, I wish it was big."

"Tell me about it." Sophia relates, making the two laugh. Once they quiet down, Sophia looks at her younger brother and sends him a soft smile, "Look, I'll think about it okay?" Daniel's face lights up at her words. "I mean, I'd have to run most of my ideas by mom first." And with that, the boy's face falls again.

"But you know she's going to turn down everything, Soph." Daniel complains, knowing his mother and her opinions on 'gender appropriate' attire.

"I know, Bug, but we don't want her to have a bitch attack and ruin your big day over you looking better than her." Sophia explains, resting her hand on Daniel's shoulder. "But let's be honest, whatever you wear, you're still gonna look better than her."