Chapter | 2

CHAPTER
t w o

AFTER a long moment of silence whilst their tea sat piping hot, the three occupants each sat on a thin zabuton to protect their legs from the cold of the floor; all of them circling around the lone television in the otherwise bare living room—save for the thin tatami mats to add contrast on the otherwise drab wood of said floor.

Genkai had long opted to switch the television on, flicking between limited channels until she found the soap opera she was interested enough to follow, though she kept the volume nearly muted enough knowing that she wouldn't be able to give her attention to tonight's episode. Then again, the mere purpose of switching on the appliance was to lessen—if not to completely diffuse—the expected tension to come.

Once the air of awkward shuffling following their reunion was immediately dealt with, Genkai had urged the two to follow her back into the living room to kill the short dawn of silence. She wasn't patient enough to wait for her disciple to gather himself, letting him scramble to his feet whilst tossing curious glances over his shoulder. The pinkette could sense his agitation beneath the wonder of seeing someone. . . well, Genkai was accustomed to seeing people become stuttered by the appearance of her friend.

It was always amusing, really.

However, she was nearly overwhelmed by the quiet jerk of her heart when Lan seemingly appeared out of nowhere—strummed at the face of an old comrade. But the urge to chat over a serving of mantou was quelled only for the sake of her disciple.

First, introductions were in order. Thus, Genkai sent the boy to clean himself while she went to prepare some tea for all of them, which was done after storing her tubular pipe to cool down after a bout of smoke. Lan had obediently remained by Genkai's side after the latter's student had gone to make himself decent. Surprisingly enough, he had no retorts to his mentor's clipped orders this time, rushing despite the fatigue weighing his limbs.

Genkai had to chuckle to herself at that. She may be old, but she was no fool. The brat was flustered—and suspicious. Suspiciously flustered with the last glance he gave over his shoulder before leaving.

When he was gone, Genkai took that short opportunity to mutter under her breath, meant only for the demoness' sharp ears.

"Let me do most of your introduction. Say nothing but your name."

Confused, Lan grew wary by that statement, and she made Genkai aware of her opinion with a quick look. To which, the psychic returned with a shake of her head. She would have to explain later, after her new brat slipped into slumber. Until then, they would have to wait.

Preparing the tea had been quick, most of the time spent waiting for the water to boil in the kitchen while the two calmly let the quiet speak, taking it as their time to drink in tiny details that have changed from each other.

Lan expected little or nothing to change within the temple. Genkai wasn't one for refurbishing and just let things stay where they started. She knew that and yet, the slight quirk of her lips couldn't be helped after entering the familiar cramped space. Still the same, if not aged just like everything she's seen so far.

Without meaning to, the demoness recalled the time when she spied Genkai and Toguro preparing dinner once—that one time when both were occupying the room because of a heated argument. She had forgotten the reason behind that particular quarrel and the duo had numerous of those—some petty, some not—that it had escalated into their very own way of communicating. Lan figured their headstrong nature was what pushed them to be debating and arguing most of the time, whether it was about a trivial matter or no. Oddly enough, it was also the foundation of their relationship, which usually ended with the both of them laughing it off.