13 || Ice-Cream, Not Scream

         So they walked. Kira was grateful for the sounds of traffic but even those quieted as West turned into a side cobblestone street. The chimes over the ice cream shop's door tinkled when they entered.

         A few stares were thrown their way - her outfit being the main attraction - but she hid the rest of her her body when she slumped down into a seat behind a corner table.

         Kira watched West almost follow her and sit down but then veer his way to the short line at the counter. He ordered them both a classic chocolate ice cream cone.

         "So, you wanted to talk?" Kira asked when he comfortable slipped in across of her. The evening sun lighted up his face, and he looked like an avenging angel.

         "No, I just wanted to walk," he replied. A smile played at his lips, and it calmed her unsettled stomach. The silence was an uneasy one as West tapped away at his phone and Kira waited for their table number to be called.

         When it was called - table seven, it was her lucky number - they both got up and took their cones with a small thanks to the girl at the cash register.

         She felt slightly better by then. There was no need to be irrational about the fact that Kira could not handle any sort of violent or angry situation. At times, even slightly tense situations got the best of her. Kira swirled her tongue over the soft cold chocolate and wondered how she ever became a businesswoman.

         "I'm sorry," she blurted out.

         West put a hand over her clenched one. "Hey, it's cool. Lee will be here in a minute or two, then we can go home."

         She puckered her lips in confusion and felt some ice cream dab onto her nose. She wiped it away with a sleeve. "I keep forgetting you're in contact with Lee, to be honest."

         West stretched as he finished the last of his ice cream and his shirt pulled taut across his arms and chest before he yawned and blinked at her. "We are friends, and he's a chill guy."

         Kira hummed in response and stared off into the distance - anything to keep her thoughts at bay. Her mind's eye followed the polka dotted walls to the air vents which blew cool air that was cold enough to make her really feel the heat when they were out again.

         A horn beeped outside, and Kira saw Lee and Trevor through the smudgy glass window. West wove his fingers through hers and they walked out together. She was right, the heat was worse this time around.

         Trevor's eyes instantly zeroed in on their hands. "One date and suddenly they're in a honeymoon zone!" He made fake retching noises, but Kira laughed, and she noticed West's fingers flexing around hers when she did.

         Kira looked at him. He had supported her no matter what, and she had been unbelievably rude to him. "I'm sorry," she whispered into his ear when they were safely buckled into the backseat. Their fingers never let go.

         He only gave her his wide ear-to-ear beam and her world was somewhat balanced again.

At home was a different story. "Come in for dinner?" Kira asked the two brothers.

         Trevor and West looked at each other and shrugged. "Let me just tell mom," Trevor replied. "I can ask to stay over as well, if you want me - which you obviously do," he said. West's head snapped towards him so quickly Kira could hear the whoosh of air.