19 || Let It Go

important: PLEASE check author's note at the end!!

19 || Let It Go

         "For the umpteenth time, I am not going wine-tasting with you. No, no, I'm not still upset over West, it's been like two weeks. Yeah, I guess I still owe him those..."

         Sighing, Kira switched the phone to her right ear and continued washing the dishes. Her little chore which served as therapy for her due to the peace and quiet and only the rushing sound of tap water -

         "Hello? Key, you still there?"

         - had been completely, utterly violated.

         "Yeah, yeah," she muttered. "What were you saying again?"

         "I asked how many more birthdays you've got left with that man!"

         Finishing the last of the lot, Kira closed the tap and grabbed a hand-towel to wipe her wrinkled hands in. "Well, we went to nine together, and he's been to like, nine on his own. I guess that leaves us with two more."

         "Take him with you today!"

         "I don't know, Monique..."

         "Don't be a pussy... cat, Lisa, I said pussy cat!" Sounds could be heard of Monique talking over a little girl in the background. It made Kira giggle.

         "Sorry, love. Alex's family is over, his younger sisters are hell-bent on living in my room until the wedding," Monique explained.

         "Oh, how's censoring yourself going on?" Kira teased.

         "I love how you just know."

         "I always do, Monique."

         "Well quit changing the subject! You. Are. Taking. West. Today. End of discussion."

         "It's not a discussion if you're the only one talking!"

         "You're changing the subject again!"

         "I think you should take him, too." A completely different voice interrupted Kira from responding. She turned around to see Lee standing with his arms crossed, leaning against the entryway to the kitchen. After opening and closing her mouth, she responded with a flat stare.

         He only shrugged and walked into the kitchen, grabbing an apple and taking a bite out of it. Kira took a moment to watch him as he ate, and an ache washed over her. Her little brother wasn’t very little anymore, but she was happy that she could come to terms with the fact. He had grown taller, too, and his hair fell over his ears.

         “What?” Lee asked, raising an eyebrow at her. “All I said was that you should take West along with you.”

         “Didn’t you tell him to stay away from me?” Kira could have bitten her tongue when she saw recognition flash in Lee’s eyes.

         “I totally knew it was you!” he said, pumping a fist into the air.

         “Busted,” came Monique’s voice from the speaker and both siblings turned to stare at Kira’s phone. Kira picked it up and finally let a little smile slip onto her face.

         “I’ll talk to you later, Mon.” The girls said their goodbyes and hung up.

         “Well, yeah, I totally knew it was you, Key,” her brother had a smug smile on his face as he tossed the finished apple core into the dustbin behind her. “Score!”