Hold On | WinterWitch (Rom.)

As requested by: sophiethenerd1
__________________________

Her green eyes passed back and forth between the mementos of the fallen Avengers. She couldn't believe they were gone. The loss of Natasha and Vision especially hurt as the tears spilled over her eyes and down her cheeks. Damn, she thought. I promised myself I wouldn't cry...not here.

In search of some level of comfort she reached to her side, the former Winter Soldier in his somber stance in all black. A fraction of a smile twitched on his lips when he felt her hand latch onto the inside of his elbow. He didn't resist. He just stepped closer, giving her what she needed.

Soon, the service was over and the heroes all collected in Tony's house finding his message he had left for everyone, especially his daughter Morgan. Bucky and Wanda were in the kitchen, leaning against the countertop as they ate their cheeseburgers that Morgan had wanted. After they finished, they sat in silence except for the chattering from all the guests in the other room.

Finally, he spoke. "I'm sorry about Vision...and Natasha," he said in a tired, no, exhausted voice. Whether it was physical or emotional, she figured both.

"You lost her too. She told me you were friends during her time in the Red Room," Wanda said simply, looking down at her ring-clad hands.

"Yeah, but uh..." he started, shifting the weight from his right side to his left and putting his hands in his pockets. He sighed, then continued, "Steve is goin'. He's goin' back home."

"Well the facility is destroyed. How could he?" She questioned. It was a reasonable question.

"Not that home. They have to place the stones back to their proper place and well...he said to me, 'Buck, Tony said to me that he wants the simple life. A white picket fence dream where you pay your taxes, water the lawn and wake up to the smell of breakfast in the morning while your kid drags their toy down the hall. And that's what I want with the love of my life.'"

Bucky smirked. "He's goin' back home to Peggy. Back in the day, I didn't think I ever saw a man more in love with a woman than the way he stared at her. I'm happy for him. He deserves it."

"As do you."

"Natasha did, Tony did. They didn't get theirs. At least, they didn't get to keep it."

He clapped a hand down in the island and smiled at her. "Sam's getting the shield. That's what else he told me."

Wanda's eyes grew, and a smile too. "Wow. That's great for him."

"Yeah, it is. He's a good guy."

"But what about you?"

"Me? Nah...there's....there's no happy ending in my book. I got that taken away a long time ago."

Wanda crossed her arms and glanced at the floor, then back up at him. Wow, his eyes are blue. "Did he offer you the shield?"

"No. I can't blame him though. I can't be trusted and I'm seen as a terrorist, so...yeah," he smiled sadly.

She stepped closer to him, studying his expression as her face fell. "Not that Sam isn't deserving, but I think you also deserve a shot."