Chapter 13

"... and then, oh God, he grabbed that guy- his roommate, you know, the guy going out with Emily two dorms down from us... You'd recognize him if you saw him, I swear.

"But, yeah, he grabbed his shirt collar, and pulled him up to his face. And- Ollie told me this, we all know it's true- he said 'Bless our souls, Hood, but apparently you're in love', and laughed.

"Ollie says he was completely wasted, you know how their group are, but Anna said that there was a glint in his eyes- like he was going to kill Calum simply because he had a heart."

Jen had smiled here, like the dramatic story excited her, but Aimee couldn't even reply. She was running through all of her encounters with the tall blonde, trying to find some reason he'd mentioned to attack this other guy. Trying to reason it out with herself. Because, simple though their conversations had been, she felt like she knew Luke. Like she'd learned about his heart by looking in his eyes.

***

"But did you hear? The Hemmings guy- he got thrown out of one of his lectures. Apparently he started shouting at the professor, saying that everything he was teaching was bull-"

"What's he studying?" Aimee interrupted, curiosity peaked.

Jen had squinted in confusion at her. "Music tech, I think. But, anyway, so Professor Green just stood up from that chair he practically lives in, you know the one, and folds his arms, and yells across the room that if Luke knew so much better than him, he could teach the class.

"So, get this, Luke just hops up from his seat and stands at the front and just goes 'If you guys think this man can teach you anything, you're wrong. If you think I can, you're wrong. We're all just here looking for an easy major, and we got it. We could ace the finals right now. Frankly, I don't know why any of you showed up.'

"And then, Jane says, Professor Green just turns to him and goes 'Hemmings, if you're so confused, why don't you leave to clear your head. And, don't worry, you don't have to come back.'. Isn't that crazy? Like, who does he think he is, anyway? Jane says music tech is really hard, but apparently he was like a child prodigy at guitar or something, and he's always going on about how it's all too easy..."

***

"... but then Luke just punches him in the face, yelling something about how they could live without Calum anyway, and I've asked everyone, but nobody knows who 'they' are, but everyone thinks Luke's in some band or something, and Calum quit to go be with Emily- you know they've been dating since the start of term? Most shipped relationship on campus, I swear. 

"But, yeah, so Calum's just standing there, his nose pouring blood, and Emily's screaming and crying but she can't get through the crowd to get to him- there were like a hundred people gathered around them, I can't believe you weren't there. But then he just opens his mouth and nobody knows who he was talking about, but he just goes 'She'll hear about this, you know, and it'll terrify her', and Luke's face just dropped.

"Annie says Luke wasn't even hurt or anything, but that his face just went down when Calum said that, and that he said sorry and everything. And, actually, apparently he said something about how whoever she is already expects it.

"Hey, you think he has a girlfriend or something? Like... He's so hot, isn't he? Kind of terrifying, though. I wouldn't date him. Actually, I wouldn't stay alone near him long enough for him to ask me out."

Aimee's only response to break Jen's monologue was a nod and what she hoped was an interested 'Hmm' noise. 

***

Despite what Aimee had learned about the rumours of Luke from Jen, she continued to make thirty-second conversation with him whenever she saw him. Though it was exam week, she saw him an awful lot, but their conversation never ranged beyond the usual.

She wasn't scared of him, no matter what Jen had said. He'd never actually threatened her, and she felt sorry for him, just a little. She'd heard somewhere that his roommate had transferred out of their room, and that nobody else would take the empty space.

She watched him walk broodily every time she spotted him, and the pity she felt for him grew. She'd shoot him a smile, and he'd stop to speak to her- usually just time for "Hi, is everything okay?" from him, and a quick reply from her, before people began to look at them uneasily, as if worried Luke would spring at her any second.

Every time Aimee walked away, she heard the click of a lighter and the faintest sound of an exhale from the boy, and she bit her lip in concern. 

There had to be a way to help him.

***

Luke was terrified. Every time he saw her, he was reminded of the fact that she'd heard the rumours.

Her eyes watched him with what he assumed was terror as he spoke his few words, concerned for her well being. She was marked, after all, and he had to make sure she was okay. It was his duty.

Calum still wasn't speaking to him. 

Calum, who'd abandoned him for the girl Luke had barely even met, wasn't speaking to him.

And, shocking though the thought was, Luke was panicking about exams.

Whatever he'd already known about music, Luke had forgotten exactly how to take exams. He was studying as much as he could, but he had to fit it in around playing his guitar, which would always be his priority, doing his night watch shifts, then doing his personal shifts- walking around campus every so often so he could 'casually' find Aimee and check on her- and, of course, sleeping.

He needed to study, but he was prioritizing.

And, as had already been pointed out to him, he wouldn't need a degree anyway.

************

So um yes I managed to update 

I'm gonna try to develop a schedule- Monday, then Friday. So twice weekly.

Yep I think that's everything

QOTC: What's the worst trouble you've ever gotten into at school?

THANKS FOR READING GUISE YOU'RE THE BEST

ILY ALL

Meghan xox