Chapter 11

Over the next few weeks, Aimee's unease gradually lessened. She stopped jumping when spoken to, and managed to- somewhat- get her work handed in on time.

She noticed that Luke had been pretty much absent from her life since the night she was attacked. Her idle mind said he had something to do with it, but inwardly she knew that neither of the voices had been his. His absence didn't, as she knew it should, calm her mind. Indeed, she thought it made her a tad more irritable, something she didn't dare discuss with Jen.

Each time she spotted him at a distance- and continued on her own way- she found she slept worse that night. She found it harder to focus.

Why wouldn't he talk to her?

The unease she felt in his presence was forgotten. She found herself wanting to be around him, though she should have known that once he was around, she'd feel it again.

It was a Wednesday the next time she saw him up close. She was hanging around on the corner across from the fountain Jen had pushed her in, legs curled up under her as she read in the sunshine. One of the many upsides of the colder weather that it was possible to sit outside, something Aimee had missed from London.

Luke walked past, and paused right in front of her to pull out his phone. She glanced up at the sound of movement on the usually deserted path, and found herself speechless.

Luke looked at her as she looked at him, and smirked, his tongue darting out to moisten his lips- sliding delicately over his lip ring, she noticed, feeling as if the world had turned into slow motion. It was probably one of the first times she remembered seeing him without a cigarette in his hand.

It was mere seconds they watched each other for, but it felt like hours. Aimee couldn't find any words to speak with.

Luke's smirk was a permanent fixture on his face as he turned away, taking a step before Aimee finally found courage to stop him walking away again.

"Kicking the habit?" she asked, and then mentally chastised herself. What a stupid thing to say.

Luke looked perplexed for a second, but then a beautiful smile dawned on his face, and- Aimee thought- illuminated his features. "The cigarettes? No, just on the way to buy more, actually," he said, his voice sending vague senses of unease through Aimee- but residual, she noticed. It was just out of habit.

"Probably not the best idea," she found herself saying, words she didn't consider. "I've heard that on-campus they think it's hilarious to inject who-knows-what into them."

Luke's bright smile turned into an even more beautiful laugh, and Aimee found herself smiling along with him. "I'll take my chances. It's me they think's doing that, you know."

"And is it?" Aimee asked, fighting for her voice to be playful. Luke didn't scare her- she didn't even see his face any more, honestly. All of their conversations were eye contact and her blundering over her words.

She heard the miracle that was his laugh again. "Wouldn't want to make you guilty by association."

Aimee struggled again to say anything. Luke seemed to be having the same issue- cool, confident, rock star wannabe Luke, finding issues with words. It wasn't possible. She must've bored him. Opening her mouth to apologize, she was only too glad when he cut her off.

"I've gotta..." he pointed halfheartedly down the path, and Aimee nodded like a bobblehead in the Olympics. 

"Yeah, yep, yes, I getcha," she blurted, turning a shade of red as she glanced down at her book.

She heard his footsteps and looked up to watch him walk away.

A voice- her voice- acted of its own accord and called after him. 

"Luke?"

The tall blond, wearing his usual dark jeans and black hoodie, oblivious to the still-present heat, turned to face her. She liked how he did that. Always turned to face who was talking to him, always giving them his full attention.

"Why've you been ignoring me?" she asked in a rush, and instantly regretted speaking at all.

Luke shook his head. "It's the opposite, Aims," he said, and she was too distracted by how her nickname had sounded in his voice to notice his pointed stare. She looked back down at her book, and Luke subconsciously played with a shining silver charm pinned to the pocket of his jeans.

The red embedded in the silver was easily read, even from Aimee's distance, but she didn't look up again. Luke turned around again, seeming to sense an end to the encounter, and was allowed to walk away.

The viciously red lettering on the tiny charm sparkled in the sunlight.

LR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HI GUYS

I know this chapter's kinda short but it's all I could write bc weekday and technically I should be doing homework rn

BUT ANYWAY THANK YOU SO MUCH TO @R_Lovster AND @iqra8819 FOR THEIR REALLY SWEET COMMENTS ON CHAPTER TEN

They meant the world to me omg

AND ALSO THANKS FOR 200 READS OMG THAT'S INSANE 

Idk if I like did a 'Question Of The Chapter' would you guys hate it or answer it 

Also if you comment/message me your instagram/twitter I'll follow you bc I'm always looking for new people to follow it

OKAY THAT'S IT FOR MY RAMBLING AUTHORS NOTE

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO SO SO SO MUCH

Meghan xox