Chapter Eight

"Hold fast to dreams,

For if dreams die

Life is a broken-winged bird,

That cannot fly." - Langston Hughes

I was making a detour towards my locker, after PE, exhausted by the long day. The transition from staying at 'home' to going to school were they demanded your attention wasn't as smooth as I had hoped. I was behind everyone else, which I of course already knew, but I didn't know how much work I had to catch up with the other students. Marie along with Theo had suggested that I should be kept behind a year, which I politely declined. The thought of staying in high school for a year longer than I had to made me feel sick.

I was getting my jacket along with my German homework, deciding that I was getting all the make up work done today along with the homework I had gotten. I nearly didn't notice it when it flew down from my top shelf. There against the cold floor lay a letter – a letter with a quite familiar handwriting. My heart was jumping out of my chest, and I closed my eyes in resignation. How did they find me so fast? 

Quickly, I put the letter in my backpack and nearly ran out the doors. Theo was waiting in the car by the parking area, when I got out. Terrified out of my mind, I sat quietly in the car on the way home. Theo sensing my unease didn't say anything.

Theo had stayed in the garage, claiming he had some work to be done. I mumbled a thanks, before I left. My mind haunted by the letter.

"Celia!" I heard my name being called before someone jumped on me making me loose balance and fall towards the ground. 

"Are you okay, Celia?" The guy on top of me asked, I turned my head halfway to meet Tristan's eyes. I smiled briefly and nodded, ignoring the stinging on my knees. After he got off me, I stood up to check how bad it was. 

Tiny droplets of blood were dripping through my now ripped pants, not that it mattered anyway. I was glad that I fell forward instead of backwards so that I didn't crush Tristan; whom at the moment was staring at my knees with a frown.

"Does it hurt?" He asked guiltily, before he continued without waiting for my answer. "Mom says we have to clean cut so that it won't be infected."

"It doesn't hurt at all." I smiled at the boy, I didn't want him to be sad. I always felt better when he smiled to me and the feeling of him looking at my graze like that made me feel uncomfortable, I had seen too much regret and pity and too little of smiles around me. Besides, the graze was so little and compared to the pains I've dealt with before this was hardly anything.

"Okay, let's go to mom." He said as he took my hand and led me carefully towards the door, occasionally looking at my graze.

"Mom!" He yelled out, he sounded frantic which was probably why she came out of the kitchen in a hurry looking awfully worried. She sighed in relief when she saw that Tristan was fine.

"Don't scare me like that." She scolded Tristan.

"But mom! Celia hurt her knees, it could get infected!" Marie turned her attention to me; looking at my knees.

"Let's go look at your knees, shall we?" Marie asked, walking in the kitchen.

"It-it" I took a deep breath, "doesn't really hurt." I looked away, my cheeks were red. It wasn't what I wanted to say, I wanted to say something like it was already healed. Why did things like this have to be so hard?

"I know, sweetie." She gave me a warm smile. "I know also that there's a little guy sitting on the porch sad because he hurt you and by cleaning of the blood he can see for himself that you're fine, which will help his guilt tremendously. I'm just glad your mate isn't here to witness this." She continued in a lower voice, however I was miles away thinking of him and how much I didn't want to admit that him ignoring me hurt. It still hurt.