Chapter 5: Human

The dragon awoke. He sniffed at the air. There was a scent that he had not smelt in over half a century. He could not quite identify it though. By the sound of its footsteps it was about a hundred meters away, whatever it was. There was a second smell that belonged to the second set of footfalls, but he knew who that was. Has Guzray brought a new kind of food? He wondered, licking his lips. No. He realised. I can smell the meat as well. Which means he’s got my food and..

The dragon identified the smell and growled.

Human.

John pushed the door open. Guzray steered a wheel barrow filled with various meats for the dragon. John stopped and gawped at the creature before him. He studied the beautiful blue scales that reflected the light ever-so subtly, the huge, curved black talons, the deadly-looking barbed tail, the intelligent green eyes... then frowned as he saw the collar, chain and hook in the wall. John resisted the urge to run over and rip it off. It was a stain on the beauty of the dragon, a wound in the magnificent beast’s pride. Instead he demanded:

“Who does that to a dragon? That’s ridiculous.” The dragon grunted, almost as if in agreement.

“My boss,” Guzray grunted, hefting a bag of raw beef over his shoulder. Guzray then emptied its contents onto the floor in front of the dragon and moved back to grab the next one. He continued like this until all six bags were empty.

“Quite the appetite,” John commented.

“We’re done here,” Guzray said, clearly ignoring him. Guzray picked up the wheel barrow and started to wheel it back out the door. John, however, remained motionless. The dragon, feeling awkward about its audience,  covered its head with its wing while it ate, effectively creating a pale sapphire curtain.

“Looks like he’d prefer privacy, let’s give him some,” Guzray urged. John still did not move. When it was evident that the dragon had finished eating (signified by the lifting of the ‘curtain’), John took a step forward. “John...” Guzray warned, unable to keep the concern from his voice. “Don’t do this. He won’t trust you yet. He might attack you!” Desperately, he added: “My boss –“

“Would sleep easier if I was dead,” John cut in. Guzray was appalled. Were all humans this arrogant? The dragon eyed John warily, and let out a low growl.

“John!” Guzray exclaimed, advancing. “This is the limit! I will not allow you to kill yourself!” John whirled round angrily.

“Is the alternative any better?” He growled, not dissimilar to the dragon. Obviously, the anger in his voice was evident, startling Guzray with the amount of ferocity. “Being locked up, prisoner! Betrayed by the very people I tried to help. Being treated worse than the animals that this facility holds! I tried to help, and you just laughed! Well, I’ll be the one laughing when you pay the price for your ignorance!” The venom in his voice was stinging Guzray. Bad. He sniffed, turned, and left the room without another word. John collapsed onto the floor, breathing heavily. He probably shouldn’t have been so hard on Guzray, he was one of the few people in the world who might actually care about him. But it felt good to let it all out. What have I ever done to them? John found himself wondering again. Something nudged his elbow. John, his eyes closed with deep thought, dismissed this. The nudge came again. I wish they’d stop that. John suddenly realised he didn’t know who ‘they’ was. I’m alone in here apart from... John opened his eyes and very slowly, turned his head. He came face to face with the dragon, who was staring at him expectantly, its head only half a meter away from John’s own. John smiled, then fell, unconscious, to the floor.

Guzray sat in the mess hall alone, John’s words playing themselves over and over again in his head. Guilt churned his stomach, making him unable to eat the food in front of him. I shall try to make amends with him. Guzray finally decided. He looked at his food. I hope John’s hungry, because I’m not.