Chapter 3: A Meeting in the Dark

Two Months Later...

John jogged through the deserted alleyway. The dull moonlight filed to penetrate the looming shadows. John picked up the pace. It had been a rough two months for him. His life falling apart, there was only one thing that could save him now...

Guzray stretched his wings and winced. He felt nervous that he lacked the ability to fly, even though he didn’t often find the need to. It was always comforting to have a way out, a plan B. But here he was, about to embark upon his first mission in two months.

“A rat,” he had said to his boss.

“No, not just any old rat. This sub-species have a high amount of magic.”

“How high?”

“Telepathy high.” Guzray had to admit, he was surprised. Magic was hard to come across these days. Especially in animals. Especially in rats. Really, every living creature had magic, though it was rare to keep it, or know how to use it. And telepathy? That was a very difficult magic indeed.

“How do I know which ones they are? There are a lot of rats out there.”

“They’ll know you,” his boss had explained. “Just keep focused and they’ll be able to hear your thoughts.” Guzray nodded his understanding. “Dismissed,” his boss concluded.

Guzray’s here. Guzray’s here to rescue you. Come on rats, where are you? Guzray attempted to keep his thoughts focused enough to be heard.

That sounds patronising. Intruded a rough voice in his head. Guzray spun around in the dark alley, trying to spot the rat in the small amount of light. Guzray stopped s his eyes settled on a pair of rats that were staring at him expectantly. Guzray cocked his head and asked:

 Is that you?

Yes. Came the rat’s reply. Guzray suddenly felt awkward.

Uh, how do you want to do this? I’ve got a cage but... You could sit on my shoulder, or walk? The rats seemed to consider this for a moment.

We would be quite comfortable in your pocket. This voice sounded more feminine. Guzray obediently offered a hand up to them, on which they climbed so as to jump in his pocket.

Easy. Guzray grinned. No need to fly. Having a broken wing didn’t turn out so bad after all. As if to prove him wrong, a man stepped out of the shadows, right in front of Guzray.

“I’ve been looking for one of you,” the man claimed in a neutral tone. Guzray groaned. I hope this doesn’t lead to violence. Guzray knew violence was necessary sometimes, but he still didn’t like it. “I scored,” the man continued. “A polite one. Always nice when people don’t fly away while I try to talk to them.” Guzray furrowed his brow and said in a disapproving voice:

“You’re drunk. Go home.”

“No,” the man corrected. “I need your help angel, and more importantly, you need mine.” Angel? This man wasn’t drunk, and he knew exactly who Guzray was.

“You’re not drunk,” Guzray mumbled dumbly, voicing his thoughts.

“Sorry to disappoint,” the man chirped, “but we’ve got more important things to do.” Guzray shook his head.

“Forget about it human. Your kind is not welcome among us.” The human suddenly got angry.

“It’s not for you to decide what’s important and what’s not!” he shouted, making Guzray recoil. He pointed at the angel accusingly. “You, your kingdom and your dragon are in trouble. Big trouble! You need my help as much as I need yours!” It took Guzray a moment to react. When he did finally speak, it was in a slow, deliberate dialect.

“You have no idea how stupid you sound, human.” Obviously, the human saw through his pathetic attempt to conceal the existence of the dragon.

“I’m sorry,” he apologised dramatically.“Of course you don’t have a dragon. What I meant to say was Uzred Crasiin de feu.” This actually frightened Guzray. He paled and took a step back. How could any human possibly know about the ancient language? “Now,” the man resumed. “Let’s get to your ship.” He indicated for Guzray to start walking. Surprising both of them, Guzray actually did. Within minutes they were on board Guzray’s vessel and heading for APARS central, aka, Heaven.