Chapter 32

{Pic is mine}

{ Edited - 26th April, 2024 }

"He used to say he'd gone to war to fight monsters," Jake said.

"He did," said Emma.

"The war ended the Nazis' rule, but the hollowgast emerged stronger than ever," Miss Peregrine continued. "So, like many peculiars, we remained in hiding. But your grandfather returned a changed man. He'd become a warrior, and he was determined to build a life for himself outside the loop. He refused to hide."

"I begged him not to go to America," Emma said. "We all did."

"Why did he choose America?" I asked.

"It had few hollowgast at that time, and he thought that'd be the first place Kira would've fled off to," Miss Peregrine replied. "After the war, there was a minor exodus of peculiars to America. For a while, many were able to pass as common, as your grandfather did. It was his fondest wish to be common, to live a common life. He often mentioned it in his letters. I'm sure that's why he kept the truth from you for so long. He wanted for you what he could never have for himself."

"To be ordinary," Jake said to himself.

Miss Peregrine nodded. "But he could never escape his peculiarity. His unique skill, coupled with the prowess he'd honed during the war as a hunter of hollows, made him too valuable. He was often pressed into service, asked to help eradicate troublesome pockets of hollows. His nature was such that he rarely refused."

Bronwyn came back carrying a decanter of coca-wine and a second flask of brandy. Miss Peregrine dismissed her and proceeded to blend the two in a teacup. She then started to softly pat Miss Avocet on her blue-veined cheek. "Esmerelda," she said, "Esmerelda, you must rouse yourself and drink this tonic I've prepared."

Miss Avocet let out a groan, while Miss Peregrine brought the teacup to her mouth. Despite spluttering and coughing, the elderly lady managed to swallow most of the purplish liquid. At first, it seemed like she might slip back into her daze, but then she leaned forward, her face lighting up.

"Oh, my," she said, her voice a dry rasp. "Have I fallen asleep? How indecorous of me." She looked at us in mild surprise, as if we'd appeared out of nowhere. "Oh my birds... I think Kira is in the room with us," Miss Avocet said to Miss Peregrine. Right then and there, I wanted to suffocate this woman with a pillow.

"Uh... Hi? I'm... I'm not Kira, I'm Anita..." I said in a less than enthusiastic manner to make it sound more realistic. Miss Peregrine repositioned herself and took a seat beside me to carefully remove the sling and assess my wound.

"Miss Wilde, the sling is no longer necessary, but I kindly advise you to exercise caution. Nevertheless, I must attend to the wound dressing once again and ensure it is thoroughly cleansed." Miss Peregrine said as she began to remove the bandage. I could only groan in annoyance. Miss Peregrine spoke to Miss Avocet as she attended to me. "Esmerelda, you've come a long way to see us in the dead of night. I'm afraid you've got us all terribly worked up."

"Have I?" Miss Avocet narrowed her eyes and furrowed her brow, her gaze fixed on the lively flickering shadows dancing on the opposite wall. Suddenly, a haunted expression appeared on her face. "Yes," she said, "I've come to warn you, Alma. You must be on your guard. You mustn't allow yourselves to be taken by surprise, as I was."

Miss Peregrine momentarily stopped working on my shoulder blade. "By what?"

"They could only have been wights. A pair of them came in the night, disguised as council members. There are no male council members, of course, but it fooled my sleep-dazed wards just long enough for the wights to bind them and drag them away."

Miss Peregrine gasped. "Oh, Esmerelda..."

"Miss Bunting and I were awoken by their anguished cries," she explained, "but we found ourselves barricaded inside the house. It took some time to force the doors, but when we did and followed the wights' stink out of the loop, there was a gang of shadow-beasts lying in wait on the other side. They fell upon us, howling." She stopped, choking back tears.

"And the children?"

Miss Avocet shook her head, her eyes devoid of any light. "The children were merely baited," she said. "It was Miss Bunting and myself whom they wanted. I was able to escape, but Miss Bunting was not so fortunate."

"She was killed?"

"No—abducted. Just as Miss Wren and Miss Treecreeper were when their loops were invaded a fortnight ago. They're taking ymbrynes, Alma. It's some sort of coordinated effort. For what purpose, I shudder to imagine."

"Then they'll come for us, too," Miss Peregrine said quietly.

"If they can find you," replied Miss Avocet. "You are better hidden than most, but you must be ready, Alma."

Miss Peregrine gave a slight nod. Miss Avocet glanced down at her hands, which were shaking in her lap like a wounded bird. Her voice started to falter. "Oh, my dear children. Pray for them. They are all alone now." And she turned away and wept.

It was really unsettling to hear all that, it made me feel both scared and angry. The world outside seemed to be in chaos, with thunder rumbling and thick fog covering everything when I glanced out the window. Miss Peregrine checked her pocket watch in confusion, then tapped my good shoulder. "Miss Wilde, how are you feeling?" Miss Peregrine asked. I stood up and quickly left the room, not wanting to answer her question, leaving my wound half attended to.

* * *

The kids were gathered around the sitting-room door. Even if they didn't catch every word Miss Avocet said, they definitely caught the gist, as seen in their worried expressions.

"Whose Kira?" Enoch asked.

"It's Miss Peregrine's daughter," Millard replied in a hushed tone.

"Miss Peregrine has a daughter?" Horace asked.

"Had," Millard corrected.

"Poor Miss Avocet," Claire whimpered, her bottom lip trembling.

"Poor Miss Avocet's children," Olive sighed.

"Are they coming for us now, Miss?" asked Horace.

"We'll need weapons!" cried Millard.

"Battle-axes!" said Enoch.

"Bombs!" said Hugh.

I was extremely angry with the situation, it made these poor kids here very scared. Loops are being raided, and peculiar children are being used as bait, Ymbryne kidnappings. They felt the urge to protect themselves and their Ymbryne. I seriously couldn't help but be mad, I felt my hands tingling and I had to shake them off in order not to send a bolt of lightning inside the house. Suddenly, there was a loud bang outside, causing everyone to jump and fall into silence.

"Anita, calm down!" Jake said as he grabbed my arm and brought me into a tight hug.

"We must all remain calm. Yes, what happened to Miss Avocet was tragic—profoundly so—but it was a tragedy that need not be repeated here. However, we must be on watch. Henceforth, you will travel beyond the house only with my consent, and then only in pairs. Should you observe a person unknown to you, even if they appear to be peculiar, come immediately and inform me. We'll discuss these and other precautionary measures in the morning. Until then, to bed with you! This is no hour for a meeting."

"But Miss—" Enoch began.

"To bed!"

The children scurried off to their rooms, beside me and Emma. "As for you, Mr Portman, I'm not terribly comfortable with you travelling alone. I think perhaps you should stay, at least until things calm a bit."

Jake pulled away from the hug and faced Miss Peregrine. "I can't just disappear. My dad will flip out."

She frowned. "In that case, you must at least spend the night. I insist upon it."

"I will, but only if you'll tell me everything you know about the creatures that killed my grandfather."

She tilted her head, studying Jake with something like amusement. "Very well, Mr Portman, I won't argue with your need to know. Install yourself on the divan for the evening and we'll discuss it first thing."

"It has to be now." He said. "Please."

"At times, young man, you tread a precariously thin line between being charmingly headstrong and insufferably pigheaded." She turned to Emma. "Miss Bloom, would you fetch my flask of coca-wine? It seems I won't be sleeping tonight, and I shall have to indulge if I am to keep awake. As for you, Miss Wilde, off to bed,"

I headed upstairs, brought the ladder down, and ascended into the attic. I settled on my bed and attempted to relax. After calming down, I unzipped my dress and switched into some pjs that was laid out for me, including the undergarments. I also found a gray sweater that matched perfectly, so I put it on before cozying up in bed and drifting off to sleep.