Chapter 6.

{ Edited - 2nd June, 2020 }
{ Edited - 8th April, 2024 }

"Look, I'm not staying here any longer than I have to!" I snapped.

"I apologize for diminishing your morale in this way, but it is essential" Miss Crow snapped back.

"No! I don't like it here!?" - K

"Would you rather be marooned on an island? Would you rather have your mother by your side so you can bend the rules without facing consequences? If that's your motivation for wanting to return, I regret to inform you that it doesn't operate in that manner." - M.C

"No! I don't accept this at all! I can't live here for another day!" - K

"Kira, a new chapter of your life has begun. It's time to adjust and become familiar with your new circumstances. Let's make our way back home." Miss Crow tightened her grip on my arm as we started walking back to the house.

The door swung open on its own, and I immediately recognized who had opened it without even needing to turn and look at her. 

Yeah, I must admit, I usually do this every day, and sometimes I get in trouble, but it's funny how it's always Miss Crow who reprimands me, not Miss Raven. I didn't have the chance to get to know my ymbryne, Miss Raven, since I never stayed around her long enough;

- At breakfast, I would be missing.
- At lunch, I'd be off into the woods climbing up onto the trees with some of Miss Raven's wards because we're hella competitive and neither one of us would want to lose a bet
- At dinner, I'd be the one who would sleep in early, only just to get up at 5 am.

I focused my gaze on the floor, deliberately pulling my arm away from Miss Crow's grasp. Crossing my arms, I tried to project an air of indifference, as if whatever would happen next didn't matter to me at all.

"I trust you enjoyed a wonderful walk on this splendid morning, Miss Kira?" Miss Raven's voice was so gentle that I immediately glanced up at her, only to find a gentle smile gracing her face. Without wasting a moment, I averted my gaze back down.

"Alannia, please refrain from encouraging her. It is imperative that you have 'the talk' with her, the one we went over a few years back." Miss Crow said, sounding like she was guiding Miss Raven on the path to becoming a Ymbryne for the first time.

There's a sense that Miss Raven is keeping a lot of secrets, and it's possible that she doesn't feel comfortable discussing them openly with her wards. "Alright, thank you, Miss Crow, I'll handle it from here," Miss Raven smiled at Miss Crow as she stepped aside to let her take care of the kids inside the house while Miss Raven had a chat with me outside.

I summoned the courage to meet Miss Raven's gaze directly, and to my surprise, her smile remained as gentle and kind as ever. Even when Miss Crow left us alone, entered the house and closed the door behind her, Miss Raven's smile persisted. She then knelt down to my eye level, showing her genuine care. "Come here, dear," she said in her gentle voice.

Once I found it difficult to meet her gaze, I instinctively shifted my focus elsewhere and took a deep breath. My body hesitated, and my mind became clouded with the fear of facing consequences from my own ymbryne. It did make me feel a bit scared and intimidated.

"Kira, could you please come here? I truly believe that children should have the opportunity to explore and learn about the world around them without limitations." She said which captured my attention immediately. "I understand that Miss Crow's side is known for having strict rules. It's important to be aware of her expectations and follow them accordingly. . . She always puts everyone's safety first, whether it's for my wards or hers. You know that, love,"