Ch. 3 - Beggars Can't Be Choosers

Nozomi shifted her weight from foot to foot as she looked up at the man in front of her. Yes, she was very intimidated by this man, but he was the one she chose to carry out her plan. All that mattered was whether he agreed or not.

"I want ¥35,000,000." (about $320,000 in U.S.)

Her mouth nearly dropped at the price as she didn't even have that much stored in savings.

The male next to him, however, was furious. He was watching Nozomi's every move with narrowed eyes as he nursed the wound he got from a blow to his head. The triple-bladed scythe in his hand was more than enough to warn Nozomi not to cross him.

This wasn't how it all started. It took Nozomi a while to even get him to name any type of price for the bounty. Rewinding back a few days to the start of the problem.

"I'll pay you."

The male turned around and looked at the woman in front of him. She was petite - her height barely came up to his shoulders. She had shoulder-length sandy blond hair that made it obvious that she had done it herself and that it was her first time cutting hair.  Her blue eyes stared him down but showed determination and fear.

"Who are you?"

"Nozomi Shidou."

Nozomi took in a deep breath softly as she watched him stare her down. It was very uncomfortable for her. His facial features showed nothing she could decifer and that mask was getting in the way. Was he hiding something behind that?

"And you are?"

Her face twisted into a small frown. He was blunt. He was actually quite rude too. She crossed her arms and straightened her form out, as her father had told her. Don't let anyone see that they can take advantage of you. If they can see it, they will do it.

"I am a customer in need of your help. I realize you are a bounty hunter and I'm asking for your services. I feel that you are capable for this job."

Kakuzu raised an eyebrow at her comment. He had met her standards? Judging by her appearance, she seemed to be in her early twenties, but highly oblivious. The other people in this black market had kept their distance from the male, but she walked straight up to him.

The male turned away and left her alone in the black market. Shocked by his sudden lack of interest, Nozomi ran after him.

"Wait! Where are you going?"

He stopped for a moment and glanced back at her. No sooner had he glanced, he disappeared.

Day 1

Nozomi stayed at a small inn in Kumogakure. She woke up and sat up on the futon, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her short blond hair was a mess as she folded the futon and put it away. Today was the day. She was going to make that bounty hunter hers.

She took a quick shower and threw on her clothes before thanking the landlady and leaving. Nozomi's first place to visit was the Black Market. Like before, it was bustling with people everywhere. She pulled her hood on and walked up to a small vendor for food.

After her small breakfast of two apples, Nozomi looked around everywhere for the male she had seen before. Hours went by of her aimlessly walking around and she sighed. Where exactly was this man? He couldn't have left just yet.

Suddenly, yelling started up and Nozomi looked down the lane. It was just her luck! At the same booth from before, Kakuzu was being yelled at by the shopkeeper about information once again. This time, he was arguing back though.

"I refuse unless you give me more money, you brute!"

"That's not necessary for something so little."