Chapter VI

The school we reach fifteen minutes later is huge

The school we reach fifteen minutes later is huge. It's surrounded by grass and nature and even though it's kinda dark, I can tell it's beautiful. It's a school, I know, it's a building, I know, but I can only describe it as beautiful.

"Leave your phone," he tells me before walking out.

"Why?" I ask, my fear tugging at the back of my mind.

"Just listen to me, please. Leave it in the dashboard with airplane mode on, and take this."

He takes out his phone from his back pocket and holds it out for me, a black one much bigger than my own.

"Isaac what's-"

"Hayden don't argue with me. Come on. Leave your phone, take mine. As simple as that. The passcode's thirty five, twenty four, sixty three, and the number you're supposed to dial is the one reading Mamá okay?"

"Why would I-"

"You'll figure out. Just listen to me."

Isaac leads me through the entrance and a long corridor, and if my heart wouldn't be beating so fast because of my nerves, it would beat because of the pace Isaac's forcing me to keep up with. He takes large, quick steps, and I'm running to stay only a few feet behind him. It isn't working, however, but I say a small, grateful prayer when he walks inside the only illuminated classroom of the dark corridor.

"Welcome Isaac," a man says. He's got almost silver hair and a pair of round glasses, but you can tell he isn't that old. Probably forty, forty five years old.

Beside him is standing another man, the same age, but with black hair. He has glasses as well, but he looks much more terrifying than the one who greeted Isaac. He's looking at us with a judgmental and a bit disgusted look. I remove my gaze from him and look at a smiling lady. She's got brown hair that's forming a bun on the middle of her head, causing a few gray strings to reach the eye, and she too, has glasses that have fallen down to the top of her nose. She's a bit bigger, and she's holding a notepad and lots of papers.

The man who spoke first stands up, and Isaac takes a step to the side, revealing me behind him.

"You must be Miss Rivera," he says and holds out his hand that I force myself to shake. "A pleasure to meet you. Carter Perkins."

"You too," I say only, not looking at any of them anymore.

"Mr. Perkins, I got the USB," a girl says and walks in. She's got black curled hair that reaches her waist and her lack of tan reminds me of Snowwhite. She's got blue eyes and high cheekbones, and she smiles and winks at me once before handing over a USB to the man in front of me.

"Thank you Mia," he says and puts the USB inside his expensive looking suit.

"I'm Jimmy Hathaway," the second man says and holds out his hand for first me and then Isaac. I can't believe I'm actually doing this; shaking hands and signing up for the school life again. "I'm the principal of Ashton high."