Chapter 7 - Michael

This is a SAMPLE only.

MAY 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

***

I should be scared, shouldn't I? My secret is out. I revealed it to an entire house full of werewolves. And I'm sure the rest of the pack knows by now, with the way gossip travels these days. I should at least feel guilty for ruining what my parents have spent an eternity trying to keep hidden in just the blink of an eye.

But I don't. I'm not the least bit scared.

There's a sense of relief that comes with everything being out in the open. No more lying, no more holing up in my room for five days every month, and no more checking over my shoulder every minute to make sure no one notices anything strange about me. I feel kind of free, in a way.

But then why did I hide in the pack bedroom all weekend, again pretending to be studying for finals? Why did I not eat a single meal with the pack and instead indulged in whatever my mother felt fit to bring up to my room? Even during the following week, I'm walking to school from the early morning, spending lunchtime in the men's room, and walking back to the pack house alone after last period. Ignoring everyone and being ignored; it's a cycle that repeats itself all week.

And why? All because I can't face Logan.

My secret being out may not bother me at all, but this definitely does. The sight of him walking out right after I just told him that I'm a girl and want to be with him, has been on replay in my mind since it happened on Saturday. I'm doing everything I can not to see him.

You would think I'd be even more depressed now that he's officially rejected me, even after my big reveal. Strangely though, all I feel is anger. I mean, sure, I don't want to face him. I'm too much of a coward to expect that a direct confrontation wouldn't end up hurting me again. But I'm so mad that it clouds whatever sadness I was swimming in the previous week.

How dare he just walk away without so much as blinking an eye? I may not be the greatest person that ever walked the Earth, but I still deserve more than that! He could have called me a liar, told me to prove it or maybe even demanded answers from me. Hell, I would have taken him freaking out and telling me to stay away from him.

But nothing? If there was anything for him to consider, it's the fact that we are good friends, or at least were. Did that not mean anything to him anymore?

The worst part is not from him, though. I'm equally mad at and scared of him, but there's a self-hatred that's just as equally present in the mess of emotions dominating my life. It comes from the sad truth that even after how much he hurt me, even with all the anger I'm feeling towards him right now, I still long for him. And I hate it.

Living under the same roof definitely isn't helping, but it's not like I can move out. I'm not eighteen, yet. But I will be soon, and then I can do whatever the hell I want.

I won't be staying in this town for a second longer than I have to. Maybe I actually will finalize my Berklee application and go live there. I might as well get an education out of it, right? I could work someplace to pay for my tuition and everything I need. I'll work my ass off if I need to. Everything will work out just fine.

Yeah, I know, it'll never work. I see that flaw in my plan now. Without any help, I'll probably end up living on the streets, or even in the wilderness in constant wolf form. But I can't stay here anymore, and I don't just mean at the pack house. I'm allowed to dream of the best-case scenario though, right?