Chapter 4 - Daniel

This is a SAMPLE only.

MAY 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

***

"I'm really scared right now," Zoey says in a voice that echoes her emotions.

I take her hand in mine. "I'm right here," I reassure her. "We'll be fine. No matter how dangerous John turns out to be – which I don't think he is, but I'm prepared just in case – I can handle him just fine."

Initially, I was worried about giving my parents an excuse for my absence. But it turns out that I really didn't need to. With everything going on, all I had to tell them is that I am going to watch an out-of-state game with some teammates, and that we're going out after, with a possibility of sleeping over. They didn't even question who is playing or who is going with me. I guess they're more concerned with Mickey right now than anyone else.

Zoey's excuse was a bit trickier. She told her parents she was going shopping with a friend and that she would be spending the night at her place afterwards. Not having anything distracting them like my folks, the Creeds had to know everything about this new friend who just sprouted out of nowhere. And that's how we invented Daniella Nooker, a contractor's daughter who lives an hour away and has her own car. Zoey said she would meet her at a café and that they would continue from there.

"What if he is?" she worries. "We don't know him. He could be capable of anything."

Twisting around in my seat so I'm facing her, I grab my girlfriend by the face and force her to look at me. "Stop overanalyzing. You're only scaring yourself."

"If something happens to your family because of John, it would be my fault," she stubbornly persists.

I know what she's doing. Zoey only loses her cool like that when she's nervous, and she's a wreck right now. Meeting John is what's really scaring her, not the fact that he knows my family are werewolves. I'm the one worrying about that, because I have no idea how this will affect Dylan.

Obviously, Zoey is worried about it too. But by nature, she takes things in calmly. She's only latching onto this with so much fear as an excuse, to hide what she's truly afraid of. And what scares her so much is that meeting her brother won't heal the hurt left behind by their dad, or that it could even make it worse.

Zoey is a very strong person. She tries to come off soft and weak to avoid confrontations, but she is more than capable of handling herself in case she finds herself in one. However, being hurt, or the fear of it, is the one thing that can bring down her constantly steady armor, and she tries to hide it with bigger issues that no one can dispute. But I know better.

"You can handle this," I say to soothe her true worries. "It doesn't matter what Trent did or who John turns out to be. You're so much stronger than that. I have absolute faith in you, and I'm not the least bit worried."

She smiles a little in defeat. "You see right through me, don't you?"

"Only because you let me in."

She chuckles and kisses me briefly. "Thanks."

"I'd do anything for you. Does it even surprise you?"

She shrugs. "Just needed to be said."

About a minute later, the café door swings open to the sound of the ringing bell. Zoey and I look up at the same time, as if sensing the same thing. Though I've only seen his face once, on a screen and for a few seconds, I recognize John immediately. The eyes, the same as Sadie's, and the shoulder-length dark hair are unmistakable.