Chapter 19: Re-Marked Love

A/N: Hey, everybody! Thanks for being patient ;) This chapter turned out so amazing, and I really hope you all enjoy it! It's #TONRI VS. #TRUSS Let's see who wins! :D Everybody, this is chapter 19! Thanks for reading :3

Chapter 19: Re-Marked Love

   My first stop was The Dakota, and you can bet I was reluctant to go on my own. Kira had gone to The Wolfsbane Rubies to stall Russ, and I was still slightly worried for Ethan. He would stay out of trouble like I knew he would... at least I hoped to God he would.

   Pushing thoughts of my endangered hunter friend to the far reaches of my mind, I entered the famed apartment complex and straight into the lobby. Abraham Kepsley, the nicely-dressed man that normally manned the front desk was nowhere to be found, but I thought nothing of it. I passed the empty main desk and made my way to the elevators. I'd been to Henri's exclusively rich penthouse enough times to know which room was his. The absence of his Mark, however, made it extremely difficult to figure out if the vamp was here or not. He could be out killing...

   "Don't think about that, Toni," I told myself adamantly with a frown, my hand almost unconsciously wrapping around the stake that'd been stored in the inside pocket of my trench coat. In case he became overly violent, I kept reminding myself. I knew Henri would be angry when he saw me, but he had to listen because, well, he just had to.

   I knocked on his door, regardless of the fact that I had a spare key to the place in my back pocket. I really knocked because I wanted to face Henri now instead of later. I didn't want to sneak in and be surprised if he cornered me in his own Goddamn suite. He could be unpredictable in his own natural environment, and judging from his past reaction to my actions, I could be in big trouble. I could be walking right into a trap.

   Perfect.

   I knocked on the door again when there was no response, this time adding my voice: "Henri?"

   No sound came from behind the nicely fashioned door. Was he even here?

   "Henri?" I called again, trying the knob this time. The door opened freely under my light grip.

   Great, it was unlocked... again.

   There were no traces of power coming from inside the dark foyer. I peered in carefully, using only my head, shoulders, and hands to cross the foreboding threshold of Henri's suite. Still nothing, damn it. It was only a little after nine at night; he should've been here.

   "Henri?"

   Again, no one answered. I was getting a really bad feeling now. He wasn't answering me, and this had 'trouble' written all over it. Plus, the place didn't seem that empty. Vampire empty? I don't think so! It felt almost as if I wasn't alone in the vast apartment... The door closed behind me, but it barely registered because I suddenly caught a glimpse of a pair of coal black eyes before pure darkness enveloped me once more.

   I scoffed albeit nervously. "What's with the theatrics, Henri, huh? I thought you were better than that!" My hands were visibly trembling, and I felt intense eyes on me. "Oh, come on, Henri! I know you're here, so just show yourself!" I practically taunted the vampire, and was met with more eerie silence. Was I imagining things?

   "You're acting really childi-" I never finished the sentence, for the air was instantaneously knocked clear from my lungs. Something solid plowed into me hard, and I was brought down to my knees. The force pressed into me harder, and I gasped as my body was flattened against the carpet by a lean, long body that was surprisingly light but still surprisingly strong.