Chapter 2

"How was Traynor?" Ben asked me when I met him in the hallway during the first of our ten minute passing periods.

I sighed audibly. "He is an awful person," I replied, realizing the certain truth to the words for the first time.

"He is?" Ben seemed surprised. "Everyone else I've talked to loved him. They all said he sounded very intelligent and that, unlike the other math teachers in this school, he actually teaches. He sounds like a nice guy to me." He shrugged.

"I guess all of that is true. He seems smart enough. And he most certainly is disciplined enough to handle a class full of seniors who most certainly have no interest in being locked in a dark room with a total asshole for an hour and a half," I said through clenched teeth.

"Whoa," Ben backed away a little. I looked up at him. His initial surprise soon turned to slight laughter. "That got serious really fast. What happened that you aren't telling me?"

"Well, it's not that I'm not telling you, it's just that I haven't told you yet. I just want to get that straight."

Ben nodded, and I continued.

"So, I was a couple minutes late to class, because well, you know. But I put in my best effort to get there on time, as I explained to Mr. Christian Asshole Traynor. But he didn't get it. He gave me a detention on the first day of school."

"Um, Alex-"

"No, I'm not done yet. Honestly, what does a detention even do at this school? We're trapped here anyway, but now instead of sitting in my room for an hour I have to be trapped in a room with him? I don't think so," I snorted, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Not a great start to the school year, Miss Caraway." I heard someone say over my shoulder. Even after hearing only a few words fall from his lips, I knew that voice all too well. I felt the heat of embarrassment and anxiety rush to my cheeks.

I spun on my heels, slowly, timidly, to face Christian Traynor. I bit my lip, unsure of what I was expected to say, but then I knew. The right words came to mind. I released my bottom lip from the hold of my teeth and stood up straighter, daring to look directly into his green orbs. For a moment I felt breathless, hypnotized looking at him. He was truly beautiful, but I had been too wound up in my anger and frustration with him to realize the fact prior to this moment. With green eyes, caramel colored hair, and a tall stature, he was the epitome of beauty.

Quickly I shook the thoughts from my mind. What was I thinking? I collected myself and spoke clearly, surprised that I did not stutter once. "Mr. Traynor, I apologize sincerely. It was not my intention to offend you, though surely I too would be offended if I heard someone say something to that effect of me. I suppose I was just mad, though that does not excuse my actions. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

For a moment he seemed taken aback, as if he was expecting me to yell at him once more as I had in class. I could not help but be impressed with myself.

He cleared his throat. "Thank you, Miss Caraway, for owning up to your actions. However, contrary to your statement, your words did not seem so sincere. I'm afraid you sounded rather, for lack of a better word, fake in your apology. And may I remind you, no one likes a suck-up." He smiled pretentiously at me and strolled away.

"Unbelievable," I uttered under my breath. I turned back to Ben. "You heard that too, right? It wasn't just me."

Ben nodded.

"Well? Aren't you going to say something? Defend me, for God's sake."

Ben shrugged, slipping his hands into the pockets of his black pants. "You did sound a little fake-" he held one finger up and interrupted me as I began to speak "-but yes, the way he responded was rather rude."

I groaned. "God, this is practically the worst day ever."

Ben remained silent, so I continued to ramble on, venting to him as if he was not there.

"I mean, teachers always like me. And I can't help that I'm a suck up! But you know what that says something - if I'm a suck up and teachers like me, then people generally do like suck ups. He's wrong."

"Look, Al, as much fun as it is listening to you vent about Mr. Asshole Traynor, I have to get to class. I don't want the same fate as you."

I frowned, and Ben put his hand on my shoulder.

"Hey." I gazed at his shoes. "Look at me, Alex." He placed two fingers under my chin and forced it up, shifting my gaze into his eyes. "The two of us will get popcorn and chocolate and all of your favorite foods tonight and you can vent to me about this all you want, alright?"

I nodded solemnly and waved to him as he jogged down the hallway.