Chapter 17

"I'm telling you, it was Tahno!" 

Locked within the interrogation room, they had kept you in there for over 8 hours in order to find out what happened back at the shop. The owner was confirmed dead, and his body was cremated just a few days back. Meanwhile, you and Kahzu, who both had been found unconscious at the scene, were kept prisoned until further notice. 

"Tahno is still missing and the figure you described is much bigger than he's confirmed to be."

"That's because he's gotten stronger." 

"Do you hear yourself? It's impossible to get that big in only a couple of weeks." 

You knew they'd never believe you. They just needed a suspect to confess they started the fire, and while Kahzu had already talked himself back into his own advantage, they were aware of your pro-bending career, and already labeled you as water-bending rebel scum. It was impossible to convince them it wasn't you, but still you wanted to try one last thing.

"Let me talk to Kahzu." 

"You're not allowed to speak to other suspects." 

"I'm not telling you anything unless I've spoken to Kahzu."

The officer lets out a heavy sigh that almost makes you feel bad for him. However you are trying to help them, the fact that they refuse to believe you makes it hard to discover what really happened. 

The man opposite you pinches the bridge of his nose beneath his glasses, before letting out another deep sigh. He flattens his palms on the table and rises from his position.

"2 minutes. That's all I can give you." 

"Thank you so much."  You genuine tell him, and it lifts his mood just a slight bit. He probably hadn't heard those words these past few days, so he could appreciate the politeness.

He leaves the room, and 15 minutes later returns with none other than Kahzu, who seems highly unimpressed by your presence. He takes his seat in front of you, and the officer leaves the room after giving you a knowing look. 2 minutes. That's all you needed.

You eye the man in front of you, narrowing your eyes at his massive form. Knowing his past, and all the sins he's committed, you have a hard time not blowing up.

"Why didn't you tell them it was Tahno?" 

He eyes you up and down, and while he wishes to answer your question, he knows the officers are listening as well. He couldn't just confess his own son guilty, it would create a stain upon his image if the city knew his family was involved in such crimes.

"You're spilling madness, woman. Tahno has been missing for weeks now, do you think I'd let the guy escape if he was involved with my son in any way?" 

The man enrages you. Nothing but nonsense comes from his mouth, only to protect himself and his status among the city. Kahzu was truly a disgusting person.

"I can't believe you, Kahzu. You hurt Tahno, abused him. You've never been a good father, so don't act like you care about your son, because the only reason you're not confessing it was him is because that means your reputation goes down the drain."

"I have never abused my son in any way whatsoever." 

"I wish Tahno was here to confirm those words. Unfortunately, Kahzu, he's not because he got in trouble due to your poor parenting!" 

"Enough!" The heat rises within the room, and from Kahzu's rage, flames of heat erupt from his fists, burning the table as well as the side of your arm. Before the officers can barge in to interrupt, Kahzu's spilling everything as his frustration gets the best of him.

"I never taught the boy to murder! I only hurt him in order to sculpt his strength, the way he used it was nothing I've ever beat into him!" 

Silence consumes the room, and you smile to yourself knowing you got him. Not even a second later, the door swings open, and the detective from before raises an eyebrow in Kahzu's direction. Not only did he confess it had been Tahno, he also told them directly that he had been abusing his son.

"Kahzu... please walk with me." He orders, and the man rises with nothing but anger written on his features. Finally the man would get what he deserved, and the truth could be discovered.

"Y/n, I'd like another word with you." 

"Of course, officer." 

----------------------------------------------------

"Bend your knees, stay on your toes, you're able to react faster that way."

Tahno circles around his target, eyes blindfolded as he trains his instinct to take charge. Kaito watches from the corner of the room, often giving the boy instructions as the makeshift enemies are thrown in his direction. Tahno dodges every single one of them, using his hearing to locate the object and charge.

Kaito's impressed, and he watches as the boy smoothly dodges anything that's thrown at him. As the final target is thrown, Tahno smoothly impales the puppet with his sword, before taking his final stance, exhaling deeply. 

However, when Tahno relaxes, Kaito charges, and he thrusts his metal claws in the boys direction. To his surprise, Tahno dodges the attack as well, and leaves the man stumbling forward.

Kaito laughs, and Tahno takes is as a cue to remove the blindfold. He's met by a smiling face, and a firm pat on the shoulder, which at first he flinches at. While the hand is made of metal, there's warmth radiating from the gesture, and for the first time ever he smiles at the man standing opposite him. 

"You're a quick learner, Tahno. I'm very happy to have you on my team..." 

Tahno's eyes widen at his words, and his gaze snaps in his direction. Did he mean those words? Or are they just more tricks to keep him on his side. 

"I didn't have much of a choice..." He tells Kaito, and the man nods in understanding, before ruffling a hand through his hair. Tahno's surprised as he does, and steps away from the huge man before his fringe gets entirely messed up.

"I know you didn't, but I'm guessing it's at least better than staying with Kahzu."

The sound of his father's name makes him cringe. Life here was hard, but enjoyable at some moments. Here, he got compliments, he had a team to hang out with, and at least when he did something right, there was genuine praise offered to him instead. He had gotten a friend as he trained with his squad, and Kaito had been surprisingly soft on him... and perhaps being with the equalists wasn't so bad. 

"He hurt you, didn't he, Tahno?" 

Unconsciously, he nods, answering Kaito's question as he removes his gloves from his hands. All of a sudden, there's a hand on top of his head. It's not a threat, not invasive at all, but rather supportive actually. He freezes under the touch, and waits for whatever is to happen.

"I know I hurt you before, Tahno, but we won't ever intentionally hurt you again... I'm sorry." 

Tears drop onto his bag, before Tahno realizes he's crying. Having wishes to hear those words for all his life, he's finally granted relieve from the torture and abuse as Kaito tells him this. An apology, a genuine apology... it breaks him. 

"You're free to go for today Tahno. Take some rest, we'll continue your training tomorrow. 

Kaito leaves the room, and Tahno is left on his own. As soon as Kaito shuts the door behind him, Tahno falls to his knees, clutching his sports bag with both hands. 

"You're free to go." Continues echoing within his head, and while the words were meant to only last for this day, they meant so much to Tahno, who had been following instructions for whole his life. 

It takes him 30 minutes to silence his sobs and get up from his position. He feels exhausted, but happier than ever before, and at that moment he decides; he won't ever go back to his previous life.