PROLOGUE

Raquan

Looking at my brother Sean's body in that casket was a harsh reality, as if watching him get killed wasn't traumatic enough. I've seen plenty of people killed in my lifetime—but never someone this close to me.

Staring at his cold body, tears formed in my eyes, but I had to stay strong. Not only to protect my mental, but to keep my momma together.

My mom, Trina, fell to her knees at the casket crying. "Momma... Come on, get up momma," I said as I tried to pick her up.

"They took my baby! My first born! Why did they have to take my baby?" My mom cried.

My uncle rushed over and helped me get my momma up. We walked her over to the first row in the church and sat her down. I held her in my arms trying to calm her down. Seeing my mom hurt was hurting me. I knew I had to keep my composure so I could be there to console my momma.

"Momma, I know this hurt. We're all grieving momma..." My voice cracked as I tried to fight back the tears. I wasn't no weak nigga now, but after witnessing my brother's death, it was hard keepin it together. "You gotta stay strong momma. Calm down and relax, breathe momma." I said rubbing her back.

"I haven't felt this pain since your daddy died in '09 Quan!" My mom cried out. "I know momma, but it's gonna be alright. God got us" I said trying to console her. But honestly, my mom was right. My dad's death hit the family hard and I knew if I didn't start making wiser decisions, I'd end up in a casket too.

The rest of the friends and family continued to view Sean's body. My mom had finally caught her breath and was pulling herself together as she silently sobbed. "Quan..." My mom croaked out. "Yes Momma?"

"Promise me you'll make better decisions and get out these streets... because I don't think my heart could handle losing you to the streets too."

***

Sky

I folded my clothes, throwing them into my suitcase. I was packing because I would be entering my junior year of college at Clark Atlanta University.

"Hey baby girl!" My dad said, as he entered my room, startling me.

I jumped and turned around. "Hey Dad, What's up?" I asked. "Can you come help me get these bags out the car? I went and did a little shopping," My dad asked. "Yeah, sure thing dad" I said as I folded a t-shirt.

I followed my dad out into the garage where I see my mom standing next to a brand new 2019 Nissan Altima with a big red bow on it. "Surprise!" My parents yelled as I stared at the car in shock.

"This is for me?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes! All for you. I know I didn't let you have a car out there your first two years of college, but I know you're getting ready to start internships. Your dad and I felt better with you taking a newer car to Atlanta" My mom said smiling. I ran over to my parents giving them hugs and kisses. Finally, a new car. Lord knows my 2008 Honda Civic was about to give out.

"Well it seems that you like the car! But Sky, we're doing this because we want you to start doing more on your own. No, we aren't cutting you off, but it's time you start becoming more responsible. You're 20 years old and it's time you start doing more for yourself." My dad said.

I nodded my head. I understood that I needed to be more responsible for myself and stop relying on my parents for everything.

"And, we've deposited a thousand dollars into your account. That'll give you the opportunity to buy groceries when you get down there, new stuff for your dorm if you don't use what you already had, and spending money. But with you having a car, you'll be able to get a job and provide a bit more" My mom said.