Chapter 4

It's a downpour. Raindrops splatters against the glass panes of the hovering train as it nears the town. Raincoats materializes over the travel jackets of Lance and Galsey, while the thin leather collar of Jules makes a waterdrop sound and releases its rain cover from 5D storage, automatically aligning itself on top of the quadruped's body. The train stops for them and they jump down out into the rain as there is no station. They're the only ones to do so.

"The architecture of the houses," Galsey says, "it's so distinct from that town that it's hard to believe we're in the same sector."

"Immense diversity is Indus Sector's cultural essence," Lance comments as they make their way through grounds covered in stone gravels.

The rain shows no sign of stopping. They make their way through the streets where plenty of people can be seen working outside with raincoats on underneath their colorful woolen sweaters. Passing through open grocery markets, homes with strange monotonous looks, then they overhear some Gurkhali men, whom their scanners identify through their distinct military uniform, about news of cults trying to steal the technology of the Deities. Their cause is that important knowledge has been shunned to the rest of the world. Lance could understand where the cults are coming from, but he soon concludes that their approach shall eventually render their efforts as fruitless.

"How long have you known, the Sire?" Galsey asks as they get close to a small bridge made of intricately carved rock-boulders.

"What has he told you about me?" Lance takes a moment to watch the beautiful bridge, at the other side of which are abandoned houses showing no signs of any activity in the pouring rain. The houses match the elevated temples at the northern side of the town.

"Nothing." She continues, "he was busy answering the officers who was there at a high court."

They're on the bridge by now. Jules roams around, watching the small streams of rainwater flowing from the sides of the bridge down to the brook.

Lance sounds, "I passed the section exams and met him at 14, then lived at his school campus as a student until I turned eighteen when he suddenly shut down his institution two years ago. Hadn't heard about him until he sent me that message a few weeks ago to meet him along with you." Acharya knew him enough to be sure that he'd agree.

"You're nervous to meet him again?"

"Not anymore. There're just mixed feelings about this." He looks at waters of the brook, where one couldn't tell where upstream was because of the splashes but Lance knows where it is. "It was tough for all of us, his students. Very tough."

They reach the eerie streets of the houses devoid of any effervescence other than the clashing of rain on the roof and streets. There's a closed shop, seemingly a diner with extended veranda, where they take shelter. The three waits.

Time passes, rain slows down, and at the further corner of the road, a female figure with a transparent umbrella can be seen heading towards their direction. She has deep green braided hair and white cloak resembling lotus petals underneath which she dons a slim and sleek battle suit with designs representing eloquent tree branches, flowers and two songbirds. An oscine and a lark. Similar designs are on her arms which are apparently cybernetic. There are two vertical glowing lights running parallel to each other at the sides of her seemingly kind face, swathed by flower patterns on both sides of her jaw.

The rain has died down. She closes her umbrella, reposing in the light remaining droplets.

Galsey guesses that she could an android if not a cyborg, one with sophistication she doesn't know about. Jules's leaves raise upon taking a vigilant stance.

"Tamiko?" Lance sounds.

"Yes, Lance. It's me." Tamiko responds with a smile. "I was here for a few days on a job/business. And you must be Galsey and there's the sweet, adorable Jules!"

Jules woofed.

"You've grown up, so that means, Acharya succeeded," Lance grins.

"Without a hitch!" Tamiko grins back. "It has kept dad all hyped since then."

"Like a 'Goofy Bear'?"

"You remembered! I used to call him that."

"I never found him goofy though but more like a Vedic saint. Its hard imagining him being goofy alone at his lab."

Tamiko imitates her father in a grumpy voice, "scientific success tastes like honey! Yum! May your life stay safe from dangerous 'bees'! Tathastu!"

The two laughs. Jules and Galsey stares at them, curious.

"Hey, it's good to see you live again, shrieking-ghoul." Tamiko says.

"You thought I'd die before beating Knox?"

"I'd find a necromancer and raise you from the dead if you did."

They share another grin. A warmth amidst the winter rain. We met five years ago.

Galsey asks, "By any chance, Tamiko. Are your systems or implants biotech based?"

Tamiko replies in a kind manner, "they are. I used to be a child but my artificial body has grown with time. Galsey, you must've probably asked me because the person you're searching for is a biotech engineer like my father. And that is why you had approached him. Her name's Daiyu if I'm right."

"Yes."

"She was a plant-based researcher and doctorate whilst my father was more of a cellular and bio-mechanical scientist." She wasn't involved with the flowered branches tattoos, and luminescent patterned skin of hers.

They step out of the shelter onto the wet street. "He awaits us at a cabin in Fluorian Sector." Tamiko says.

"What? That's at the other side of the planet." Galsey says.

To that, Lance and Tamiko look at her with smirks. Turquoise glowing cherry blossom leaves materializes around amidst them. The glowing leaves starts encircling them. Slow and steady, their surrounding starts to heat. Their bodies and everything they wore glow. Galsey and Jules tense up at the extremely high amount and density of mana forming around them. Lance gives Galsey an assuring nod. They're doing this.

Lance looks up at the dark clouds. Scanty raindrops falling on his face and turning to steam, he closes his eyes. It is all much sooner than he expected. But it feels like it's been so long. He's ready.

They shine bright and vanishes from the street, which is now so lifeless and empty like it was before them. And so, it goes on.