PROLOGUE - Death By Pandemic

PROLOGUE - DEATH BY PANDEMIC

[ 7 DAYS FROM NOW ]

“Charlie, didn’t I say get away from that window”, Screamed Eileen as she rummaged through draws, ran up and down stairs and banged doors open and closed. The boy though couldn’t help it, he stepped closer and moved the curtain aside but only from the corner of the window.  “Oh my God, It’s happening all over America”, shouted his step father from behind him, his eyes fixed on the portable television screen in his hand.

Charlie had never seen so many people on his street. Truck after truck was being loaded with families and then waved forward, guided by what seemed like soldiers wearing huge masks and carrying ridiculously long guns.  The soldiers were fascinating to Charlie.  He looked closely at something written on the back of the uniform of one of the Soldiers but couldn’t make out what it said. The soldier turned and caught Charlie peering out the Window, instantly turned and began walking up the pathway. Charlie jumped back.

 “Mom, his coming, Mom...MOM!”, he screamed. “Its okay Charlie, I’m ready now, they said only one bag, its ready now”, said his mom as she came over and slid her hand pass his cheek and under his chin, hugging him solidly. “Your my son and I love you, remember that”.

There was a loud knock on the door.  His mother turned around, “put that thing away Tom, they said no electrical equipment”, she shouted under her breath as much as she could and then opened the door.  An instant bombardment of deafening noise was given permission to enter.  Aeroplanes, helicopters and a mess of people together producing an amalgamation of the most unlikeliest of noises.   Standing in front of them was a tall man with black boots, black uniform and a black mask that covered his face.  Charlie hid behind his mothers legs terrified at the sight of the masked man at his door.

“Marm, can I ask you and your family, leave now”, instructed the masked man sternly, his voice muffled by the mask to produce something that sounded much more menacing. Charlie could see his father hiding the portable television into his jacket, out of the sight of the masked man.  Tom had been watching the news unfolding on the portable television since the internet and power cut an hour ago, a government move to limit panic.

His father rushed to the door, suddenly coming into action now that the television had gone, “come on lets go, we have wasted enough time already”.  Holding Eileen by her arm he rushed her out but the boy couldn’t bring himself to follow.  His eyes were fixed on the masked mans long gun, as he took a step back.  His father held the terrified boy from the arm and yanked him, “Come on Charlie, lets go, now is not the time to......”

The soldier placed his hand on his fathers’ chest and interrupted Tom, as he glanced around to ensure his superior wasn’t watching. “Us soldiers are taught to not treat people as people, but treat them as objects or animals, its how we get the job done in the battlefield sir, but this is America and this is just a boy, imagine how he feels right now.”

“What is your name, son?”, said the soldier as he kneeled on the ground. “Charlie”, said the boy reluctantly.  Just after another glance to his superior, the soldier unclipped his mask and removed it. “HI, Charlie, I’m Sam, see I’m just a normal guy”.  Charlie seemed surprised, the soldiers face seemed normal, black short hair, a straight right angled nose and a solid strong jaw.  “What do you want to be when your older, Charlie”, said Sam as he rested his hand on Charlies’ shoulder . “I want to be the president of the United States of America”, said the boy proudly as though he had rehearsed it everyday.

“Ha, Ha, doesn’t everybody, how old are you?”

“Eleven”, said Charlie.

“Your thaaaat old, in that case I’ll level with you Charlie, do you know what a Pandemic is?"