Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7 

They moved quickly into the city while Jahi gave Rondel the names of guests who had left the celebration before the assassination attempt and kidnapping. 

Despite dawn only hours away, the thick crowds of revelers had not abandoned Girga's streets. Rondel watched Andrasta use the cramped avenues, and jostling throngs to their advantage, weaving deftly around patrolling guards.  

Members of Horus's personal bodyguard had beaten them to the first person on Jahi's list. They arrived in time to watch Horus's men escort the individual in question outside their lodgings. Though the politician looked annoyed, he cooperated dutifully. Studying the man's behavior, Rondel didn't think he appeared guilty of any wrongdoing, but he couldn't be sure unless given the chance to interrogate them.  

Too late for that now. Control what we can.  

Rondel turned away from a corner he peered behind as a guard helped one of the nobles into a wagon. He looked to Jahi.  

"Where to next?" 

"Either Maskini or Thabit. We'll have to make a decision on which one as they're in opposite directions." 

And we can't let the guards get ahead of us again

Rondel recalled Maskini bumbling through things at the celebration and their brief conversation.  

It can't be him. . . . Of course, Maskini's behavior could have all been an act. He bit his lip, thoughts drifting to Thabit. Intelligent. Handsome. An arrogant mule. A man who would do anything to seize power. Plus, I just don't like him. 

"Thabit," answered Rondel. 

"We go south. Near the market." Jahi faced Andrasta. "Five streets down, then take a left for two more blocks. It's the most expensive inn Girga offers. It will be on the right." 

The woman set off. He and Jahi followed. Surprisingly, Rondel had yet to feel winded. 

All that running is finally paying off. 

Several buildings away from the inn, Rondel eased into the shadow of an awning the three stood under. 

Unlike the surrounding buildings of sun-baked bricks, granite, and limestone, the inn was constructed entirely out of sandstone. The architect who designed the inn left his mark by making use of natural patterns in the stone, creating straight lines of eggshell white, pale yellow, and deep tan around the first floor walls. The transition of each color appeared so seamless it looked like the thing had been carved out of one solid block. On the second level, designs and colors shifted from straight, even lines to swirling patterns. The patterns increased in complexity with each level as the walls sloped upward like that of a pyramid.  

The fact that Rondel saw all of these details from the light provided by the star-shaped lamps hanging over the street impressed him even more.  

"How do we know what level Thabit is on?" he asked Jahi. 

"The extravagance of the inns in Girga traditionally increase the higher one goes." 

"Thabit doesn't strike me as the sort of person to settle for anything less than the best." 

"He isn't," said the boy. "But, he's also cautious. He won't be at the top." 

"So the third level then." Rondel looked to Andrasta. "How do we handle this?" 

"You and the boy go in through the door and work your way upstairs." 

"And you?" 

"If I go with you, we'll be stopped immediately. I'll come in through the back."