Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5 

One of her father's guards led Dendera quickly to Horus's study. Another ushered Rondel and Andrasta to the dining hall.  

The guard held her at the elbow like she might sprint away at any moment. 

Because that worked out so well before. 

The guard knocked on the study's door. 

"Enter," came her father's voice from inside. 

The guard opened the door, pushed her in, and latched it closed without a word. 

Alone, Horus bolted across the room, wrapping Dendera in a tight embrace. Despite her anger at being returned, she leaned into him, placing her head on his thick chest as he dropped his bearded chin on the top of her head. He smelled of caramel, a weakness her father indulged in when stressed. They held each other for several moments, neither speaking. 

She had missed him greatly. 

Maybe he'll understand how important this is to me now. 

"You scared me to death. I thought I lost you." His voice sounded tired, on the verge of breaking. 

"I'm sorry I scared you." 

Horus released his embrace and held her out at arm's length. He frowned, wrinkled eyes showing the hurt that his mouth conveyed. "But not sorry you left?" 

"I didn't want to leave. I had to." 

His arms fell to his sides. "I'm sorry you don't want this marriage. But it must happen." 

"I can't believe that even after I ran away, you still want me to marry Kafele." 

"I need you to do this." 

"But you promised me that-" 

"I know what I promised." His calm voice was a stark contrast to hers. "But too many people are counting on me to protect them. This is the only way I see how." 

"Do you think they are more worthy of your protection than your own daughter?" 

He grimaced and looked away. "This is not easy for me." He wheeled. "I know it will be hard, but you will have more than most could ever dream of. Land. Clothes. Servants. Money. Yes, you will have a man you do not love sharing your bed. But there are far worse things in life than that. Emperor Chuma refuses to do his duty and stop Menetnashte's encroachment on my lands. Therefore, it is up to me to protect them. Otherwise thousands might die, young and old alike. Are their lives less important than your perfect marriage?" 

Dendera said nothing, casting her eyes down in shame.  

What can I say to that? 

He nodded. A small sigh passed his lips. "We can speak about this more tonight. There might be things I can negotiate with Kafele as part of the marriage contract to make the situation more bearable for you. Right now, people are expecting to see me. Us. We can't hide here any longer, and I still need to speak with Rondel in private about what happened. Knowing him, he's itching to tell the story to all who would listen." 

"I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't already telling it to all who'll listen." 

"With any other bard, I'd agree. But Rondel was never like that. He had class most others lacked." 

Dendera rolled her eyes. I wonder if he'll still think so highly of Rondel when he and Andrasta start asking for money. 

Her father grabbed her by the shoulders, forcing her to meet his eyes. "I love you."