Chapter 17

I looked at the little clock on my bedside table and saw it was now 2:30 AM.
I sighed and hid myself under the blankets even more.
For the last couple of hours all I could focus on were the noises I heard.
There were doors slamming shut every once in a while, I heard little ticking noises everywhere, and at some point I even thought I saw something light up, as if someone was taking a picture.
So I was now hidden almost completely under the blankets and it was safe to say I was slightly terrified.
I considered waking up Luke but there was nothing he could do to help me so I let him sleep.
I heard another thud coming from above me and I cringed, hiding myself even more.
I heard footsteps and I couldn’t decide if they were coming from upstairs or from our room.
If I would have been able to think clearly I would not have been this scared but I was, and I couldn’t think clearly, making me even more terrified.
I kept telling myself it was nothing and deep inside I knew it was nothing, but it did scare me.
I had lived in the same house for 18 years, I heard the same noises 18 years in a row.
So any other noise I heard was new for me and it was not supposed to be there.
Another thud was heard and made me crawl under my blankets completely.
I tried to calm down my breathing but when I heard a little squeaking noise, i got my blankets off of me and sat up straight. It sounded as if the door had opened but when I looked at it, it was still closed.
I put my hands in my hair, totally freaked out and I decided to wake Luke up anyway.
I just needed him to tell me that there was no one here and that there was nothing going on.
I quietly got out of bed, and opened the door.
Luke was fast asleep on the couch and I looked at him for a second.
His mouth was half open and he snored softly.
He was lying on his belly in nothing more than his underwear and I couldn’t help but smile at him.
I sighed and turned around, not wanting to wake him up anymore.
That is, until the squeaking noise came back and our bathroom door moved.
I walked back to Luke softly pushing against his arm, while looking at the bathroom door.
‘Luke, wake up’ I whispered.
Luke moaned softly and turned around, opening his eyes.
‘what’s up?’ he asked sleepily. He could fall back asleep any second but I wasn’t going to let him.
He closed his eyes again but grabbed my hand, telling me he was listening.
I didn’t know what to say to him. So instead of talking I squeezed his hand when I heard another noise.
Luke opened his eyes again and looked at me. ‘Hey’ he said as he sat up straight.
‘What’s going on? Are you scared?’
I didn’t answer him again. I just stared at the bathroom door while squeezing his hand.
‘Ivy,’ Luke said, a little louder this time.
I looked at him and swallowed hard.
‘What are you afraid of?’ he asked.
‘I don’t know’ I answered, I did know, I just didn’t know how to explain.
‘of course you know what you’re afraid of’ Luke whispered.
He let go of my hand and pulled me in a hug, making me sit on his lap with my legs on either side of him.
‘tell me what you’re afraid of’ Luke said after a couple of minutes.
I pulled away from him so I could look at his face and dropped my hands in my lap.
‘There were just these noises’ I answered him quietly. He grabbed both of my hands in his and looked up at me.
‘What noises?’ he asked patiently.
I focused on his thumbs as they drew little circles on my hands, somehow calming me down a little.
‘Just noises from upstairs, there were people walking and they dropped something on the ground, there are all these little ticking noises, and then the bathroom door squeaked’ I explained.
‘The bathroom door?’ Luke furrowed his eyebrows and looked at the door.
‘Our bathroom door?’ he asked, looking back at me.
I nodded and looked back at him.
‘Well, I opened the window because it was really hot in here’ He said, getting me of his lap and walking to the bathroom.
‘Luke,’ I said, not wanting him to just leave me here.
‘It’s nothing, come here’ he said helping me stand up from the couch and holding my hand while taking me to the bathroom with him.
‘Luke seriously’ I said, as my breathing heightened again and I started squeezing his hand.
Luke ignored me and walked to the bathroom, opening the door and turning the lights on.
‘see? There’s nothing here.’ He said, letting go of my hand and closing the window.
I followed his moves with my eyes and stayed where I was when he came walking back with a sweet smile on his face.
He stopped right in front of me and inspected my face.
‘how much did you even sleep?’ he asked.
I looked down at my feet and then back up to Luke.
‘I didn’t’ I softly mumbled.
Luke sighed and pulled me in another hug, while slowly making us both walk out of the bathroom.
‘Why didn’t you wake me up earlier then?’ he asked.
‘I don’t know,’ I answered against his chest. ‘I just didn’t want to wake you’
Luke let one arm slide off of me so he could turn of the light and close the door.
‘but I told you, you could wake me up if something was wrong’
‘I know, I just didn’t want to’
I could feel Luke smile as he rested his head against mine.
‘well please do next time okay?’
I nodded and closed my eyes, finally feeling tired now that I wasn’t really scared anymore.
‘can you stay with me?’ I quietly asked after a few minutes of silence.
‘Are you sure about that?’ Luke answered.
I nodded again and lifted my head up so I could look at him.
Luke looked at me for a second, inspecting my entire face before he nodded and showed me another sweet smile.
‘of course,’ he said. ‘but I can’t sleep with more clothes on than I’m wearing now and I probably have to warn you that I always end up hugging something or someone in my sleep’
I laughed and let go of him, grabbing his hand instead to make sure he was really following me.
‘I can live with that’ I answered him, while walking into the bedroom. 

------
A/N 
so...that happened...
Isn't Luke just the cutest person ever! 
I NEED A LUKE IN MY LIFE TOO