Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Rogue sat at Remy's bedside, sound asleep, her head resting on his bed. The adrenalin surge caused when she realised how badly wounded he was, had only staved off her exhaustion for a while, then she had crashed.

Hank entered the room to check on the pair, although it was much longer than he would like between check up's. Remy had been the number one priority when they got back but once he was dealt with, Hank had a number of other patients to see to, with both serious and moderate wounds. Remy was of course, wired up to machines that would alert Hank if there was a problem with him, but so far he seemed stable.

"How are they?"

Hank actually jumped when the professor spoke, he really must be tired for someone to be able to sneak up on him.

"Rogue is fine, just tried. Remy nicked the hepatic vein and lost a lot of blood, but he will be fine also, with time."

"And you?" The professor looked to the red stained fur on Hank's hip.

"Mainly superficial, I assure you. As soon as I am done here, I intend to take nice long shower, then sleep for a weak." It was now 4 o'clock in the morning, so he was only half joking.

The professor smiled. "You have gone above and beyond the call of duty today."

Hank smiled at the praise. "And how are you feeling after the ordeals of yesterday?"

"Quite well, thank you. Jean is sleeping now, but I expect her to make a full recovery also."

"Does she remember what the Phoenix did?"

"Oh yes," The professor said darkly. "She will need therapy to come to terms with what's happened but her mind is in tact, which is what matters. Anything else can be dealt with later."

Hank nodded his agreement and went to check on Remy's vitals.

"Should Rogue still be here?" The professor asked. After Jean was declared physically healthy, he had spent all his time helping her, and so wasn't aware of all that had been going on in the med bay.

"She won't be moved," Hank said softly so as not to wake her or Remy. "She will have a sore neck in the morning, but that is all."

He finished checking the readouts, wrote something on Remy's chart, then hung it from the end of the bed once more.

"Well, if you'll excuse me, Charles, I think I'll head to the showers."

"Of course."

Hank left but the Professor stayed where he was, studying the two mutants in front of him. He was surprised to wake up from his coma and find that Rogue had returned, and shocked to discover that Remy had not only rescued her, but accompanied her back. He was then positively astounded to hear that the two were dating.

Rogue was the untouchable woman, whose prickly demeanour kept people away as reliably as her mutant powers did.

And Remy, the heartbreaking, womanising Acolyte.

Never in his wildest dreams could he have envisaged this pairing, but they seemed devoted to each other. Well, Remy seemed devoted to Rogue; she in turn seemed intent on making him keep his distance, although her love was clear to see, at least to him.

He didn't know quite what to make of this, but he intended to welcome Remy into the fold, if that's what the young man wanted. Storm had told him about Remy's ward, Sarah, and his hopes that she could come to school here. Considering the Cajun's past, Xavier found it much easier to believe Remy capable of that kindness to a fellow mutant, than his pledging himself to the untouchable Rogue.