Author Spotlight: @LLMontez

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

foie gras

What did you want your nickname at school to be?

I literally wanted it to be Rocketman. It didn't stick no matter how hard I tried to get it started.

When you were a young 'un, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be an astronaut, but I was an abysmal failure at math-ing. So then I wanted to be a pilot, but I was a catastrophic dud at understanding cardinal directions. So I became an English major.

What's your favourite quote?

"There are 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood Blues

Tell us about your reading/writing habits. If you're not a writer, then simply the former will suffice!

I write when I'm pissed at the world for sucking. I read when I'm pissed at myself for sucking at thinking of something good to write about while I wait for the world to do better.

As your crew casts your lifeless body into the heart of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads of your beloved vessel!

The entire Moana soundtrack

Who is your all-time favourite author? How much, if at all, has their work influenced your writing style?

I have two sides of one answer. There's the intellect--the one who swoons over prose, syntax, clever diction, and style: Mary Shelley, Lidia Yuknavitch, Rainbow Rowell, Margaret Atwood, and Lydia Netzer. Then there's the "the other side" who credits the writers of SpongeBob Squarepants for making me who I am today.

Of everything you've written, which piece is your favourite?

ARC10.

Pitch the above story to us. Make us really want to read it!

Captain Lorn is so determined to break free from the military-dictatorship of her underground slum, that she gladly volunteers to lead Earth's relocation--until she discovers their saviors are just as vicious as the invading aliens that caused the apocalypse. It's the charming friends-to-lovers story of 'When Harry Met Sally' with the frantic pacing of 'Interstellar'. It's the military action of 'Battlefield: Los Angeles' performing a tango with the speculative nightmare of 'The Handmaid's Tale'. It's the self-discovery story of 'House on Mango Street' teamed up with the grittiness of 'Altered Carbon'.

To what extent does the mythical 'real life' influence your writing?

I teach girl-focused education. Empowering women to get shit done is my life.

If you could have any superpower, what would that be and why?

The power to shapeshift into inanimate objects. Like the Death Star.

What would you do if you woke up to discover you were Superman?

I'd initiate an intimate relationship with Mamoa Aquaman.

The Technological Singularity presents a rather daunting, some say inevitable, future. Does the prospect of that level of artificial intelligence excite you, or leave you quaking in your space boots?

The machines will be our inevitable doom. Not going to lie--I worry about it. But I just got to level 25 in Pokémon Go, so it's not like I'm about to hand that shit over anytime soon. They can have my body as long as I can keep my streak going.

Who was your first Sci-Fi crush? Who is your current one?

Then? Treasure Planet Jim Hawkins. Now? Okoye. Always? Fox Mulder.

If you could experience the world of any Sci-Fi story on Wattpad, which would that be and why?

Anywhere where @JeffreyVonHauger's cosmic whales exist.

And finally, any words of wisdom to new and aspiring Sci-Fi writers?

When in doubt, turn to the stars.