October 17, 2021

" Dad, hi, it's Cat." She said as she picked up the phone, she almost never saw him in person anymore, Janet made sure of that. She was sitting at her dining room table with all of the RSVPs double checking the guest list.

" Hi honey. How are you?" he asked.

" I'm okay, Dad.I'm doing the final guest list, I need to know if you are coming."

" I will if Janet comes."

" No, dad. She is not coming. You need to pick. I've never asked you to pick before. But, it's me or her. I've loved you since I knew what love was, unconditionally. I've listened when you would break down in the mornings and in the car. I lied to her, so she wouldn't hurt you. I can't protect you anymore."

" Cat, I don't understand why she can't come."

" She has ruined my life, she took you away from me, she physically hurt me, she made me feel so worthless. There were days when I would dread going home, that was almost every single day in middle school. There were moments when I was terrified if she was going to hurt me. No child should live through that. She embarrassed me in front of people. She doesn't love me- or she only does when it's convenient to her. And the fact that I tried everyday at school, I worked my butt off to maintain my grades, practically raise her children just for her to say that I wouldn't have been able to do it without her. You still don't see it, she is abusive towards me, towards you, even towards Teagen. Steven she just neglected, he almost died because no one noticed that he was drinking, and he only started drinking because she would. She only raised Jason and Sammi. I had to fend for myself. I was lost and I didn't have a mother, because she is sure as hell not my mother. At 14, I was was a better mother to Teagen than she was."

" Cat, what is with this attitude?"

" Dad, my attitude is based on the way you treat me. I'm gonna ask you this one more time. Do you choose me or her? Because if you are choosing her, then I need to find a new father for the day, and the rest of my life."

The line was dead.

" Saying nothing is also a choice."

" Cat, I'm sorry."

" Goodbye dad."

Cat hung up the phone and came over to where Henri was sitting and pulled him to the couch where she cuddled up into him and started sobbing into his chest.

" I'm his daughter, she's his wife. I've never treated him badly at all. All I've ever done is love him. She's hurt him and us. He really needs help if he's choosing her. He just doesn't love me enough." Cat was reminded of something Christine had told her when she turned eighteen- it hurts to let go, but sometimes it hurts even more to hold on. 

" I know, baby. I love you. My parents love you. Your sisters love you. Katie and Emma love you. You don't need him anymore."

" I'm getting married and I don't have either parent anymore, who is going to give me away? That's kind of an essential thing."

" My dad can do it, he's loved having a daughter around, he always wanted one."

" I can't ask him to do that."

" Yes, you can. When you feel better, we can call him and ask."

Cat just sobbed for a little bit longer before her sobs lessened. She stayed in Henri's arms for a while before she got up and dialed David's number.

" Hey kiddo." He answered, he always had affectionate names for Cat, once she and Henri had gotten serious.

" Hi David, so I have a really big favor to ask."

" Shoot."

" My dad decided that he is not coming to the wedding, so I need someone to give me away. I-"

" Say no more, it's done. I'll be there, you just have to make sure we don't fall over, I would be so embarrassed." Cat laughed, he always knew the right thing to say." I'll be there."

" Thanks David."