➳ difference between sparks

C H A P T E R   3

              d i f f e r e n c e  b e t w e e n  s p a r k s

I know I am an idiot. Hell, I am a fool, even. Sadly it is too late for me to come to my senses, because the job is already done. My hands uncurl from around Emily's forearms, feet move back a few stumbling steps, and eyes snap open; if it were humanly possible, they would have fallen out all ready, I am for certain. There is a subtle tingling sensation to my parted lips, wide open for the sake of reasoning. 

Reasoning as to why I just assaulted my best friend with a kiss, even if it did not top two seconds time.

My eyes, filled with dread and hesitation, shift over to where I left Emily. I expect to meet a pair of furious eyes, but instead I meet confused ones. Her mouth is shut tight, giving her a narrow expression, hands near frozen by her sides, and her brows are scrunched together, all of which should scream anger with me. 

I know Emily, though. I can tell by the look in her eyes that she is puzzled over something. 

"I, um," I start. "Uh."

Emily simply shakes her head. Those warm eyes I know so well avert away from me as she begins to turn around. As much as I want to reach out and stop her, express how deeply I feel for her, I do not. I subject myself to watch as she makes her way deeper and deeper into the hallway, disappearing around a corner. She leaves the camera sitting in it's stand, and thick aura behind.

A hand of mine wipes at my face, curse words left and right slipping off my tongue. God knows how much I have messed up by a simple kiss. Emily and I's friendship might be over. We all ready were drifting apart, but this might of been that final tear to break us apart.

"Excuse me."

Oh, no, what if she never speaks to me again? What will happen to the Youtube channel, our aspirations together as a duo, and Tuesday evening drive in movies?

"Excuse me."

The mere thought of loosing her is too much to handle. I need to calm down, stop pacing around in place, and get myself together and search after her. If it is all over, I want it over officialy, not it a way such as this.

"Excuse me!"

I nearly jump at the voice. It is then that I realize this girl I pulled inside witnessed everything. She had a front row ticket to the crash and burning of a friendship.

Clearing my throat, I straighten up a bit. "Oh, um, sorry. . ."

"There is nothing for you to apologize for. I was just wanting to see if you are okay?" Her eyes manage to hold my hesitant gaze. 

I really am not okay. "I am fine."

She shakes her head, a few red wisps falling over her forehead. "Nonsense. Now, you helped me, and now I will help you. Come on, I'll treat you to some lunch." The pep in her voice and step took me aback. She securely wraps herself in my winter coat, going as far as buttoning it all up too, before looking at me for agreement. It seems I did not necessarily have a say so in this, so I nod. 

"Good. I saw a Waffle House across the street from here, and that actually was where I was going earlier before you saved me from freezing half to death," she admits with a sheepish smile. "I am Chloe, by the way."

Chloe extends her hand, awaiting for a countering shake from myself. I blink, all too many feelings worked up in me about the whole Emily situation. Once I keep my compsure, I grin softly.